Author Topic: [ARMOR] Powered Exoskeletons  (Read 5652 times)

Offline scarf

• Sergeant
  • hello world
    • View Profile
    • reddit page
[ARMOR] Powered Exoskeletons
« on: April 21, 2021, 04:22:18 pm »

X-COM recently had contract with powered exoskeleton suppliers. While  a bit cumbersome, it grants extra mobility and assists soldier's load. You can also manufacture enchanced version powered by elerium after researching alien alloys and elerium-115.

it uses OXCE features to simulate better stamina regeneration (vanilla: 0.33 x TU, this: 0.5 x TU, 0.6 x TU) so OXCE version exoskeleton would work better than OXCE version.
the elerium exoskeleton is intended to be same tier as personal armour, so you could choose between mobility and heavier loadout or decent protection from all directions (notably explosives).

downloads are at the bottom of the post.

Credits: combat armor mod
by Warboy1982, Ryskeliini
recolor by Solarius Scorch

Use the mod freely; all my works are released under CC-BY.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:15:35 pm by greenscarf »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Powered Exoskeletons
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 04:41:36 pm »
Looks cool. I'll try it with XCom Files to see if it's compatible and fits within the mod.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:28:30 pm »
Nice.  I'll have to give it a try as well (and can probably test it in OXC for you).

Offline scarf

• Sergeant
  • hello world
    • View Profile
    • reddit page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39:11 pm »
Nice.  I'll have to give it a try as well (and can probably test it in OXC for you).
thank you. please keep in mind that even if there's no bug it uses some of oxce features (namely turning costs and stamina recovery) so it would work differently from oxce version.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:17:54 pm »
The XCOM Files mod supports this one, and fits quite well. Unsurprisingly, these armor are quite strong, seeing you have them available immediately, but they wouldn't be out of place in XCF if they were to be properly integrated.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:19:26 pm »
I had a quick look at the ruleset and it loks pretty neat. I only have two minor remarks:

1. It's not a true powered suit, it's a hydraulic exoskeleton. The +10 TU feels undeserved; if anything, I think it should penalize your TU.
2. The "turnCost: 3" flag is troublesome. I understand the intention to limit the armour's mobility, but modifying the turn cost will made it harder to shoot at anything not directly ahead of you, and I think it's unfair. I believe that "allowsStrafing: false" is punishing enough.

Offline scarf

• Sergeant
  • hello world
    • View Profile
    • reddit page
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 03:46:19 pm »
1. It's not a true powered suit, it's a hydraulic exoskeleton. The +10 TU feels undeserved; if anything, I think it should penalize your TU.
2. The "turnCost: 3" flag is troublesome. I understand the intention to limit the armour's mobility, but modifying the turn cost will made it harder to shoot at anything not directly ahead of you, and I think it's unfair. I believe that "allowsStrafing: false" is punishing enough.

fair points. my intention was that the TU bonus provided are compensated by high cost of turning, but giving exoskeleton negative weights looks sufficient. also found out that I have set stamina recovery to flatHunred: 15, so that was the reason soldiers were never going out of stamina. adjusted so now they can also be tired from extended running, still they have better energy regeneration from other armors. (TUx0.5 and TUx0.6 over TUx0.33)

thanks for suggestion!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:48:52 pm by greenscarf »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 04:16:09 pm »
You're welcome. And yeah, I understand your concept and it's good to try and make something new like that, but my experience tells me the outcome will not be as good as it looks on paper.
But you know, your model would be good for simulating a different kind of outfit, and I am being serious here: roller-skates! Extra speed, slow turning, awkward shooting sideways. :)

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 10:55:31 pm »
thank you. please keep in mind that even if there's no bug it uses some of oxce features (namely turning costs and stamina recovery) so it would work differently from oxce version.

Ah, yes, those flags are meaningless in OXC.  Hmm, could probably just remove the bonus TU (since you can't adjust AllowsStrafing either).

Offline scarf

• Sergeant
  • hello world
    • View Profile
    • reddit page
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 05:09:40 am »
Ah, yes, those flags are meaningless in OXC.  Hmm, could probably just remove the bonus TU (since you can't adjust AllowsStrafing either).

thinking of, since both allowstrafing and tu bonus are negated (because it's oxce feature), it could be okay to keep the code as is, I guess?

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:19 pm »

thinking of, since both allowstrafing and tu bonus are negated (because it's oxce feature), it could be okay to keep the code as is, I guess?

Strafing does work in OXC, if you enable the alternate movement option.  I can test to see if it adds TU or not, though.  Don't remember 100%, but I think that works in OXC as well.