aliens

Author Topic: [Answered] Reaction fire does not fire when the door is opened  (Read 1790 times)

Offline panzer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Hey! I have a couple of questions here.
 1) The idea of ​​opening the door without entering it is really great, but it is unfair to enemies. The thing is, when the alien gets up and looks at the door your soldier opens, the jet fire trigger never goes off.
That is, you can shoot the poor fellow with impunity.
   Will an alien Reaction fire ever be added when opening a door with a right click?

2)When I storm a ship or an alien base, the enemies like to turn away from the door. In theory, they should guess that something is wrong, because their comrades in the next compartment were killed earlier, but when my agents enter the next door, the aliens stand up in a random order ... For example, it happens that out of four enemies, neither one does not look towards the door.
  Can they somehow be forced to look at the door?

My English is not very good, so I use google translator.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:29:31 am by Meridian »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire does not fire when the door is opened
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 06:47:43 pm »
1) All units are subject to "mutual surprise rule". Whatever act the brings a unit in view of a foe is ignored for reaction checks. In this case opening the door. And because its your turn your likely to kill the guy before he gets another chance to check reactions.

2) AI is kinda dumb, each unit is more or less alone when it comes to processing how to act. Aside from some special mechanics(which are unused outside of mods) they act on what they themselves can currently see, and nothing else. So yeah frequently they are blissfully unaware of what's going on in the next room or behind them in the same room since its not in there 90 degree cone of reality.   

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 07:28:29 pm »
1) All units are subject to "mutual surprise rule". Whatever act the brings a unit in view of a foe is ignored for reaction checks. In this case opening the door. And because its your turn your likely to kill the guy before he gets another chance to check reactions.

This explanation is technically completely wrong, so I feel obliged to respond.
There is indeed no reaction check on door opening.
Reaction fire mechanics and mutual surprise mechanics don't apply here.

But the end result is the same :)

Offline panzer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:31:07 pm »

2) AI is kinda dumb, each unit is more or less alone when it comes to processing how to act. Aside from some special mechanics(which are unused outside of mods) they act on what they themselves can currently see, and nothing else. So yeah frequently they are blissfully unaware of what's going on in the next room or behind them in the same room since its not in there 90 degree cone of reality.
thanks for the explanation ;)

Offline panzer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:51 pm »
But the end result is the same :)
In fact, not always. Sometimes, when aliens know or have guesses about your troops, they can ambush. In ambush, they leave behind 70-90% TU, which should be enough for return fire.

I don't know if it is possible to add a fire trigger in this case, but if so, could you tell me which commands are needed and where to add them? :) :) :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:50:16 pm »
In fact, not always. Sometimes, when aliens know or have guesses about your troops, they can ambush. In ambush, they leave behind 70-90% TU, which should be enough for return fire.

I didn't say anything about that.

I said that the correct assumption "reaction fire doesn't trigger on door opening at all" and the wrong assumption "reaction fire doesn't trigger on door opening because of mutual surprise" both lead to the same result "reaction fire doesn't trigger on door opening".

I don't know if it is possible to add a fire trigger in this case, but if so, could you tell me which commands are needed and where to add them? :) :) :)

No, it's not possible by modding or scripting.

The only way is changing openxcom's source code.