Author Topic: Vehicle Fuel/Transport Costs  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Dzlan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Vehicle Fuel/Transport Costs
« on: November 04, 2020, 03:46:52 am »
To start with, I'd like to say to Solarius and the Xcom Community,

Thanks for the greatest game/mod I think I've ever played in my life. (Can't wait to properly check out Piratez and 40k next)

This is truly an incredible achievement. I wonder what video games would be like today if this was xcom back in 1994.

Anyway on to the point of this thread.

Me and my mates are playing a collaboration game every weekend at my place and we had an idea. Figured all the early game was missing to really fill the immersion was nodes that you'd fly to (Airports) before taking a car after the last node (At a reduced speed) when using public transports.
Obviously this is far beyond the limitations of the game. So instead we thought, ya know what, it'd be damn cool to have some simple transport costs.

Price of air fares and fuel/renting costs of the private/public cars and vans. I can easily picture there being a good chunk of costs involved in flying then renting a public car.
Once you move onto personalized transports (Particularly aircraft) there ought to be costs involved with fuel.
Whether it's possible for the game engine to pull directly from funds or whether you need to purchase a resource such as Petrol.

Are there any plans or possibilities to build on this idea.
It'd probably help with building cash too easily as well.

Anyway,
Thanks again for such an amazing game and mod.
Have loved every moment of it.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Fuel/Transport Costs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:12:08 am »
There are maintenance costs per vehicle that more or less cover all that. Arguably they could be higher, and that goes for a lot of operating costs, since money ceases being a factor past the first year or so.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 10:13:48 am »
Hi, and many thanks!
The game doesn't have any special mechanics we could use on top of which is already there (at least I can't think of anything). But we can play around with flat maintenance costs for vehicles, if needed.

Offline ZakG

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 06:40:44 pm »
I'm trying to run some tweaks and test around this kind of thing, craft related changes (small ones). So i have the crafts_XCOMFILES.rul file in the Ruleset folder and can see the various stats for the vehicles.

The problem is i'm not seeing the changes i make here show in the game, and i start a fresh new game, but the values remain as default in the mod. Is their another file i should be changing values in (i've been through all the files in the 'Ruleset' and wider 'XComFiles' folders and so far not seen anything?

So far i've changed (in crafts_XCOMFILES.rul):

line 9: fuelMax: 100 (was 50) - this is for the Mudranger and 50 gives 540km's of range so 100 should cover the whole of your initial 'economic zone' and mean you get to use the vehicle a bit more often?
line 18: costBuy: 500000 (was 90000) - just to give it a 'military' price tag to reflect it's non civilian nature and offset the improved range. It's an investment.

Any pointers? As looking through the other costs (for hummer and private planes etc) for some of the non starting vehicles, i could see some excess money being controlled via higher up front costs around this maybe. I just need to be able to tweak the values to test.

EDIT: lol total newb mistake. I was editing that file in the unpacked mods location, NOT in the XcomExtended install path where the game runs from!
I got it working now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:49:00 am by ZakG »