aliens

Author Topic: Battlescape development  (Read 245458 times)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Battlescape development
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
The trick is to use blaster bombs on the hangars and access lift early in the game, and those are facilities that can not get destroyed. When the aliens get further inside your base you better use more precise weapons and be careful that aliens are not using blaster launchers to destroy your base :p

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »
The trick is to use blaster bombs on the hangars and access lift early in the game, and those are facilities that can not get destroyed. When the aliens get further inside your base you better use more precise weapons and be careful that aliens are not using blaster launchers to destroy your base :p

If the hanger is damaged by weapon such as blaster bomb or Grenade,  there should be some "punishment" such as repairing cost,  out of service time (cannot launch aircraft)  for  the facility according to the extent of damage.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »
If the hangar would get damaged by grenades, the first thing the aliens will do when they spawn in your hangar is damaging it with grenades :p and you can do nothing about it... wouldn't that be a bit too harsh?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »
maybe Alien could destroyed your crafts? Because you leave them in hangars where aliens usually attack :D

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:01 am »
If the hangar would get damaged by grenades, the first thing the aliens will do when they spawn in your hangar is damaging it with grenades :p and you can do nothing about it... wouldn't that be a bit too harsh?
After further consideration, I agree that this will be too harsh.

As the structure of the hanger is not complicated and it will not cost much money or time to repair the facilities in it.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
if I remember correctly, the game explained somewhere that your craft would take off before a base attack... perhaps it would be cooler to actually have them in their respective hangar unless you manually evacuated them. hangars were indestructible to avoid the "orphaned craft" problem, I guess. imagine your base being attacked while your skyranger is still returning from a ground mission... if the hangar is destroyed, it wouldn't be able to land. same thing applies for "repair time" penalties, of course.

I guess a "repair cost" penalty would be fair, though. it would certainly make the base defense more interesting if your troops need to be more careful with explosive ammo of any kind.

Another thing is that in your base defense you should have "civilians" - your scientists and engineers! it would make base defense facilities more valuable - trying to avoid base defense missions, because it endangers your staff.

while we're at it, perhaps the base defense facilities could become more useful if the result wasn't purely dichotomic. what I'm trying to say is: imagine your base is attacked, your plasma defenses hit the battleship several times, but barely fail to destroy it. shouldn't the attackers at least have suffered some casualties? instead they always come at you full strength.

at the same time, if your base defenses shoot the ufo down, it should crash and appear as a geoscape crashed ufo, right?

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:41 pm »

at the same time, if your base defenses shoot the ufo down, it should crash and appear as a geoscape crashed ufo, right?

That sound interesting.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2012, 07:30:57 am »
"Another thing is that in your base defence you should have "civilians" - your scientists and engineers! it would make base defense facilities more valuable - trying to avoid base defence missions, because it endangers your staff."

Hey i like the sound of that , i hope someone does some sprites ::)

Picture ADDED . Combat engineer look very similar to the army guy i added earlier but they are different sprites, I think i will finish him so someone can add him into some special mission later on with the army guys.

What colour should a engineer be when you work in the x-com base , you really don't need camo?

Also the Scientist needs longer sleeves to. ( plus his waste line fixed 0 he looks like he has a big hips  :( )

Feed back anyone?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:26:35 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:31 am »
Looks a little better but i think i should loose the yellow hard hat also ???

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
Engineers... maybe blue overalls? plus hard hats. as an x-com engineer I would wear one. you never know if something blows up and drops a pile of heavy plasma rifles on your head.

Scientists might look even better with long white coats, but I don't know if that is feasible. white pants might be nicer, too. or perhaps they will look too much like doctors, then?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2012, 10:08:01 am »
ok , we can continue our discussion in Gangs and Civ posts.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
Given that your craft are evacuated, I always assumed the scientists and engineers were smart enough to evacuate too... and I found that a good thing, because they would only get in my way.

What I *do* find an added value is some visual feedback in the form of a health bar for each facility in your base. So you can see what is happening and you can react on it, avoiding them getting destroyed. Because now it's just guesswork.
It's not always adding content and adding complexity that makes a game better... ;-) I think our professional game designer bramcor would agree with me, but I don't see him a lot around lately :p

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »
How do you Evac 100+ Civilians and engineers on a average of 2 sky rangers before the mother-ship lands?  There would surely be a small percentage left wandering around :D

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2012, 11:03:34 pm »
I always wondered how during base defense missions, you don't know where the aliens are. It seems like X-Com base builders never considered some security measures. Video cameras, motion sensors & such...

Let's get back to development now :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:50:47 am by kkmic »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2012, 08:38:16 am »
"Let's get back to development now :D"

Its so hard to stay on topic ::)