aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom Extended startup issue  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Harold_Wess

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
OpenXcom Extended startup issue
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:49:34 am »
Hello, I am writing with some questions regarding an issue that I have when opening OpenXcom Extended.

I am new to playing Xcom, though have seen some fun playthroughs on youtube which got me interested in the game, and the fact that it's one of the games that my old desktop computer will run without having a fit. I recently bought and downloaded Xcom - UFO Defence and looked around for how to play it via OpenXcom. I subsequently downloaded OpenXcom and had some fun playing it. I heard of the X-com Files and they also sounded pretty interesting, so I looked to download them and the 40K mod I found later, but I also found that I needed OpenXcom Extended and, while reading about it, got the impression that it was a good way to play the vanilla game with the additions that it gave.

I downloaded OXCE and, thanks to the excellent videos by ohartenstein23 and Ivan Dogovich, was able to get things in order with regards to files and where they should go. I also then realised that there was a post here saying how OXCE and OpenXcom shouldn't be mixed together, so I deleted OpenXcom.

Now for my help question. When I started up the exe for OXCE, without my headphones plugged in, I got a message saying 'no sound detected' on the window, so after some looking around I realised I needed to plug in. Having done that, I again clicked on it, and the window came up, but I just had a box saying that 'OpenXcom Extended has stopped working'. I've included the images as files attached.
I would really appreciate some assistance here, please, I don't usually play computer games so I'm a bit lost as to what could've gone awry.
The first image attached is a photo of the text displayed when my headphones are not plugged in, the second is what happens when they are.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom Extended startup issue
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:02:35 am »
Hi,

honestly, I don't know what the issue is, but I will try to investigate.

Two things you can try to do:
1/ find the options.cfg file (should be in Documents/OpenXcom folder), delete it and run OXCE again
2/ if it crashes again, find the openxcom.log file (same location as options.cfg) and upload it here so that I can have a look

Offline Harold_Wess

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:28:12 pm »
Thank you for your advice Meridian, I found and deleted the options.cgf file and tried to run OXCE, but the same error came up.
Therefore, I'm attaching the openxcom.log file for you to have a look through.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 01:50:58 pm »
The log doesn't say much, but at least it shows it is (most likely) not an issue with your audio hardware.
It seems to crash (for unknown reason) while loading ruleset files.

If you can, please try to turn on verbose logging mode.
This will create a much bigger log file (approximately 2.5MB) with more information about where it crashed.
Upload it here if you can.

PS: You can turn on verbose logging by opening the options.cfg file in your favourite text editor, then finding "verboseLogging: false" and changing it to "verboseLogging: true". Then save and start OXCE again. After you're done, don't forget to change it back.

Offline Harold_Wess

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:49 pm »
I've turned on the verbose logging mode, and the log has been attached to my reply.

I appreciate your tip on how to turn on verbose logging by the way, that was useful.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 05:36:17 pm »
OK, we are one step further, I believe it crashed loading the vanilla UFO resources.

Could you zip and share your entire "UFO" folder please?
I'll need it to reproduce the crash and either fix it (or tell you if there is a corrupted file somewhere).

Offline Harold_Wess

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 05:50:54 pm »
I've zipped the 'UFO' folder from OXCE, it's attached to my reply.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:52:06 pm »
I've zipped the 'UFO' folder from OXCE, it's attached to my reply.

The entire folder UFO/UNITS is missing, you forgot to copy it. After you add the folder and its content, it will work.

Offline Harold_Wess

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:24:13 pm »
Great success! Unsurprisingly, after adding the folder UFO/UNITS, and started up the game, it worked very well.

Thank you for your help here, I really appreciate it. It would've taken me a long while to figure out my mistake, and I've learnt a few good things along the way.