Author Topic: [Rejected] Custom field of vision (i.e. different than 90 degrees)  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Rejection reason: this is beyond/outside the scope of OXCE

I've started playing TWoTS, and the early missions have the polyph enemies. It's an immobile coral that spits acid at you. You can sneak up on them when they look in the other direction. This is a bit silly, since a polyph doesn't really have a "facing". If possible, I would like to give them 360° vision, so they can reaction fire on me even when I walk up "from behind".
I think an option like that might also be interesting to add to other types of enemies. Robotic ones that would have sensors all around or some freak alien with multiple eyes or other senses. Since the AI is not particularly good at choosing a facing (like turning it's back to the only door in the room), this would help soften the AI's shortcomings and enable harder enemies.

Code: [Select]
  - type: POLYPH_ARMOR
    fieldOfVision: 360 #default 90

For playability reasons, allowed values should probably be only multiples of 90°. So 90, 180, 270 and 360. Makes it easier to judge what an enemy can see and what not.

If this is too complicated, only having a choice between 90° and 360° would still be valuable. For 360° vision, simply not checking the facing should be doable. Let's call 360 vision "omniVision".
Code: [Select]
  - type: POLYPH_ARMOR
   omniVision: true #default false

If what I suggest is possible with scripting, I'll try to do it myself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:56:06 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Custom field of vision
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:51:06 pm »
Not possible atm and most likely not going to happen.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:06 am »
Possible via scripts, but not for reaction shots i think.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:38 am »
As far as I know, it is not possible via scripts.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 07:13:42 pm »
Script only make can change decision of visibility for given unit, and not what unit should be consider.