Author Topic: [DONE?][SUGGESTION] Transport weight limit  (Read 2542 times)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[DONE?][SUGGESTION] Transport weight limit
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
Since there was item limit (and we all hated it...), how about weight limit?

Basic idea:
A transport has a weight limit, and it limits how much equipment you can take on a mission, based on item weight.
Advanced I:
Includes personel and armors.
So e.g. if you really wanna give everyone heavy armor, you might have to do without your dozen spare rockets... Or have to cut back on troop size.
Especially for early transports (e.g. xcf helicopter), you can either have your 6 guys with vests and equipment, or just 4 of them in heavy armor...

This might open up more strategic depth for troop composition and loadout, as you cannot just carry everything you might need anymore and just use on site, or if you do, might have to cut back on team size. Gives a lot of balancing options for heavy weapons and their ammo, as well as tanks.
May keep people (like me...) from putting everyone in the heaviest armor they can find, equip minigun for everyone and keep some spare mags, so may lead to a lot more equipment diversity in loadout.

(very optional extension)
Advanced II:
Includes loot weight too. So you cannot transport all contents of the battleship you just raided back if you did not leave some weight reserve...
May include the possibility of having them transported to your base in a matter of days or so, but some items (stunned enemies etc) would have to be taken by your transport or left on mission site.

(thereĀ“s so much things to do with weight...)
Advanced III:
Missions may have a transport weight limit. For whatever reason... (no idea how to put that story wise. But modders may find a way...)
E.g. special missions limit you to 120 weight, so you can get 4 guys with guns, or 2 with launchers and some spare missiles... even if the transport could hold more.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:25:56 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [SUGGESTION] Transport weight limit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:32 am »
While I understand there are some details/corners to iron out with how exactly implement this, I really like this idea and I think it can be beneficial to the game. I agree it would potentially add depth which is actually substantial and not just pointless micromanagement.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 05:04:28 pm »
Advanced II:
Includes loot weight too. So you cannot transport all contents of the battleship you just raided back if you did not leave some weight reserve...
May include the possibility of having them transported to your base in a matter of days or so, but some items (stunned enemies etc) would have to be taken by your transport or left on mission site.
As you can read everywhere, it is not the XCom soldiers' vehicle that carries the booty but a dedicated service for that!
The proof ?
The loot always arrives faster to the base than the XCom soldiers' ship/vehicle !

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
Yeah, the return to base phase should not be affected for multiple reasons - both lore and technical/logical.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 07:48:29 pm »
While I understand there are some details/corners to iron out with how exactly implement this, I really like this idea and I think it can be beneficial to the game. I agree it would potentially add depth which is actually substantial and not just pointless micromanagement.

I disagree and think this is a waste of time and effort.

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility or liability for any side effects of this feature on the game or the players. The feature is provided on "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, timeliness... or anything else.

Ruleset example:

Code: [Select]
crafts:
  - type: STR_SKYRANGER
    maxStorageSpace: 3.14

Storage space check includes only equipment (=items).

It does not include:
- worn armor... we have soldier limit for that (incl. 2x2 armors)
- vehicles and vehicle ammo... we have HWP limit for that

The check has a rounding error tolerance of 0.05

PS: "item storage size" was taken instead of "item weight" because of requests from other people and also because there is practically no margin to rebalance item weights (since it affects throwing distance); storage size can be rebalanced at least to some degree and unlike item weight it offers decimal precision as well

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE?][SUGGESTION] Transport weight limit
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 08:38:44 pm »
Well, I mostly see it as a way to make stuff like bikes from Piratez safe. I agree that it's pointless on anything resembling a real craft.