Author Topic: X-Com Files Copyrighted music  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Seidai

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
X-Com Files Copyrighted music
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:50:14 pm »
I have been streaming the game, just for fun but the audio its deleted because of copyrighted content, is there a replacement sound files for the mod without the heavy copyright content?

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Copyrighted music
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 04:28:56 am »
I suppose, you weren't given any details? Like whose intellectual property you violated, the property itself or any timestamp?
Where did you stream? Twitch, I guess?

There aren't any replacement files for this specific mod, but the sound files are easily replaced by hand.
All music files are stored in
user>mods>XComFiles>SOUND

The files are taken from a variety of sources: Vanilla X-Com itself,  tracks made by modders for modders, movies, etc. but most of all: other video games.
It is impossible for me to know, which tracks you got in trouble for.

IMO, the most likely culprits are:
THING.ogg from the movie 'The Thing' by John Carpenter (occurs frequently in Zombie missions)
FRO_PSY.ogg, 'Frontier Psychiatrist' by The Avalanches (occurs only once in the Asylum mission) (watch the music video, you won't regret it)

You can take any other OGG file, rename it, and replace any suspect music file with it. MP3 files can easily be converted to OGG by many different programs or online services.
The mod portal (and by extension, this forum) contains several music collections, which were made for X-Com-related projects or for use with Open X-Com itself. These shouldn't give you any copyright strikes.

Offline Seidai

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:59:27 am »
I see. I will probably use the Cydonia soundtrack, it seems pretty appealing.

Offline ZakG

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
Yeah i can see this being a problem for me later on if i do some let's play coverage of it too.

Ok i agree that the quality of the music UFO Cydonia's Fall is excellent, like really good. It available from here for others that do not know it:

https://openxcom.mod.io/ufo-cydonias-fall-ogg-music

Excellent work by Lorcán, and i assume 'free' to use from copyright issues for streaming/youtube etc (give the guy some credit in your video description!). Not a lot of info in the file you download, like no 'readme' or anything but i did find this on the OpenXcom wiki about music placement:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/OpenXcom

Look under the 'Audio' entry.

Now do we have a source to match up the music in The X-Com Files to cross reference with so we can try to match the music to play where it should in the game etc? What would be the best way to go about that?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:52:38 pm by ZakG »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:02:36 pm »
FRO_PSY.ogg, 'Frontier Psychiatrist' by The Avalanches (occurs only once in the Asylum mission) (watch the music video, you won't regret it)

Now for this I thank you very much.