Author Topic: Night vision and aliens - How does it work?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Night vision and aliens - How does it work?
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:25:45 am »
When playing the game, it feels like the aliens see better in the dark. However, UFOpedia seems to state that they should not have an advantage here, but that they can remember your position for later, so the spotter might have moved out of range, and he might not be the one shooting back, so it may appear so. Another place I thought I also read that the alien AI did not take advantage of spotter/sniper tactics.

My experience in the game seems to indicate aliens ignore night though. If they had no advantage, I would expect to be able to walk towards an alien, and as he sees me, I see him, and we're mutual surprised and he thus don't get a reaction shot.

- Do aliens see in the dark so they have the same vision as in daylight?
- If not, do aliens spot me easier if I'm close to a light source like a flare or a fire? If aliens are affected by night, how are they affected? What is a light source for the aliens? Why do they seem to spot me before I spot them?

In my turn, the map lights up around my soldiers. Does that mean I'm carrying a light source making me easily spottable by all aliens? Or is it just a practical visualization enabling the player to see the area around the soldier?

Would be very nice to have a light source with a parachute I could shoot out, which would give some illumination to a large area :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Night vision and aliens - How does it work?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:37:44 am »
Aliens see in the dark for 20 tiles. X-Com soldiers only see for 9 tiles (in vanilla of course; various mods modify these values quite often).

Light is real light, so carrying a flare or standing near a fire makes you visible to anyone like it was daytime. It doesn't apply to the "natural glow" of your units though - this light is technically also real, but too feint to have an effect.

A more powerful flare can be modded in easily. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:31 pm »
When playing the game, it feels like the aliens see better in the dark. However, UFOpedia seems to state that they should not have an advantage here

Ufopedia says clearly aliens see full 20 tiles: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Night_Missions#Alien_Nightvision

It doesn't apply to the "natural glow" of your units though - this light is technically also real, but too faint to have an effect.

In vanilla, the unit natural glow is more than enough to illuminate the unit and other units around it.

Only a few mods have decreased the intensity of this glow.

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »
Bah.. How did I miss the night missions page ;D..  :-[  Thanks for the link and info..

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:35:14 pm »
Shit, haven't played vanilla in years. My bad.

I must have removed this info from memory, because it is totally unfair. :) (The aliens already get the extended range...)

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:17 pm »
Knowing detection distance is 9 and getting to second mission when I had gotten my flares made a whole lot of difference ;D Surprised how far and accurate I'm able to throw those flares with rookies.