aliens

Author Topic: XPiratez - How to see which difficulty level I play on and how to edit it?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I play Dioxine's XPiratez and I have forgot which difficulty level I started at. Where do I check that and, if necessary, how to edit the difficulty level? I won't be switching to and fro min and max.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
You check it and change it in the save file, refer to this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8316.0.html

IIRC XPiratez is balanced for "3> Blackbeard" which is difficulty: 2 in the save file.  Note that the number in the save file is one less than what is shown in the game menu when selecting difficulty level at game start.  If you are going to edit your save file to change the difficulty, make a backup copy in case you screw up.  Start with a backed up geoscape save file.  Use a text editor that won't try to fix things for you nor mess with the format of the file.  Edit the number after difficulty: and change it to what you want.  Lower is easier, higher is harder.  Do not add or remove any whitespace.  Make sure the number is still an arabic numeral and non-negative integer.  After making the change and saving the file, make sure your save file still ends in .sav  I won't guarantee that the mod will behave completely normal after making a difficulty change.  There are reasons why this can't be done in the game midgame.  If your editted save doesn't work for you, you can always delete it and restore the backed up original save file.

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
My save says it's 1. So I suppose I am not playing at the easiest.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
That would be John Silver which is one level harder than easiest.