« on: June 09, 2020, 04:02:20 am »
what happens when it hits 0?

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Sanity
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04:10 am »
bad things.

it will be very bad a long time before then though.

basically panic and mind control and berserking and bad aim and other stat penalties galore.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:12:46 pm »
Also the agents will tend to pull out photos of their loved ones and bore the others with monologues about how they miss them.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 02:15:54 pm »
Has anyone run into any sanity issues yet? I'm not very far into the new version, have only seen sanity drops on UFO landings and the Dagon Soul Harvest, and very negligible there. Could Zombie missions be added to the list of sanity degrading ones? Those seem like they'd be inherently disturbing to be on.

Edit: NVM they already do!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:33:18 pm by Doc »

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:15:42 am »
Low sanity pretty much nerfs your agents and kills their morale. The ones brave enough not to panic become useless.

I once had to retreat a Cult of Dagon base raid because everyone was running out of SAN. The enemy was on the verge of breaking entirely, I had killed like fifty dudes already, but everyone was losing TU and pannicking. I think I could have beaten it anyway, but the Sorcerer of Dagon I had was getting stun damage from nowhere and going to die from overstun no matter what I did.

Are stunned enemies also vulnerable to the sanity depletion? Because I still have no idea why a perfectly napping Sorceror of Dagon was going into sudden overstun.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 06:09:31 pm »
Has anyone run into any sanity issues yet? I'm not very far into the new version, have only seen sanity drops on UFO landings and the Dagon Soul Harvest, and very negligible there. Could Zombie missions be added to the list of sanity degrading ones? Those seem like they'd be inherently disturbing to be on.

Edit: NVM they already do!

I've had them with the ghost ship mission, but I already made a topic regarding that (short version: nothing that can damage ghosts better than tasers plus a giant map where it's nigh-impossible to find stray enemies equals sanity slowly but inevitably crashing- both for the agents and the player. Incidentally, that's why that mission no longer appears before the asylum one is completed.)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:41:31 pm »
I had my first sanity issues, and it was a huge pain in the ass. I assaulted a landed UFO with 2 agents and was able to handle the sectoids pretty easily by luring them into farm buildings and shotgunning them, but when I got down to the last alien, both of my agents ran out of sanity and kept panicking. Over, and over, and over, and over again.

The last sectoid must have been out of ammo or something because it was apparently unable to do anything to either of my agents. So I was in a situation where I just had to kill 1 more guy to win, a guy who was literally right next to my agents, but neither one of them could attack it because they couldn't stop panicking. Eventually, after literally dozens of turns, one of my retarded agents got ahold of themselves long enough to take 1 step towards it and pull out a knife, and then I turned savescumming on so I could make sure I landed a couple hits on it. Many more turns of watching my guys panic later, it eventually dropped from blood loss, and I won. Hurray, I fucking hate it -_-

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:31:31 pm »
Sectoid knows this weird trick, X-Com agents hate him... :D