aliens

Author Topic: Alien Embassies  (Read 14681 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Embassies
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 03:52:01 pm »
Sorry for barging in, but I'm unclear about this:

Can infiltrations/embassies be prevented in any way? By shooting down the UFOs that spawn them (if that's how it works, haven't progressed that far in my new game yet)?

Offline Cynus_X

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 01:41:20 pm »
The only way I can see a country reentering the fold is by 1: neutralizing the alien embassy, and 2: infiltrating the countries government with an agent who can mind control the important politician(s) .

Maybe even going as far as sacrificing an agent with high PSI-strenght/skill to keep controlling them. So you have to decide if its worth training up and losing a psi agent to get a country back. This or replace them with Hybrids with appearance altering cloak

However, I dont think the council would be too happy if X-com starts mind controlling/replacing world leaders.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 12:34:58 pm »
Sorry for barging in, but I'm unclear about this:

Can infiltrations/embassies be prevented in any way? By shooting down the UFOs that spawn them (if that's how it works, haven't progressed that far in my new game yet)?

No, the code doesn't allow that. And also it wouldn't be very sensible, if a country wants to ally with the aliens, shooting some vessel wouldn't make them change their mind.

The only way I can see a country reentering the fold is by 1: neutralizing the alien embassy, and 2:

Yes.

infiltrating the countries government with an agent who can mind control the important politician(s) .

Dubious, since the politician would simply be replaced. It's not He-Man where you can just go and mind control Skeletor to take over his castle.

Maybe even going as far as sacrificing an agent with high PSI-strenght/skill to keep controlling them. So you have to decide if its worth training up and losing a psi agent to get a country back. This or replace them with Hybrids with appearance altering cloak

These are fine tactical tools, but as said above, not a way to conduct modern politics. Aliens sort of do that, but they have hundreds or thousands of agents on every level of administration.

However, I dont think the council would be too happy if X-com starts mind controlling/replacing world leaders.

That too, certainly.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
That too, certainly.

Well, until we mind control/replace all of them. MUHAHAHAHA.
And their electorate of course.

There should be a mod where X-COM is a supervillian organization that tries to take over the world.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 06:57:25 am »
On a semi-related note, where do I find the ADVENT Clinic Logs? I need them for one of the alien plot prerequisites (And by extension, the keys) and I can't seem to find any.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 01:39:54 pm »
No, the code doesn't allow that.

hm, I thought we can define if aliens would like to cancel their mission because some ufos were shot down, can be done with `interruptPercentage` property in `waves`, I believe.

And also it wouldn't be very sensible, if a country wants to ally with the aliens, shooting some vessel wouldn't make them change their mind.

I personally count its fair to me as a player and I always play with some % of interrupting in alien base and infiltration missions in the form of my personal submod to basically any mods or vanilla I'm playing. Though, I remember we talked about already, so not like I'm pushing anything...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:42:09 pm by Finnik »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 04:40:33 pm »
hm, I thought we can define if aliens would like to cancel their mission because some ufos were shot down, can be done with `interruptPercentage` property in `waves`, I believe.

I personally count its fair to me as a player and I always play with some % of interrupting in alien base and infiltration missions in the form of my personal submod to basically any mods or vanilla I'm playing. Though, I remember we talked about already, so not like I'm pushing anything...

My argument is that if the political agreement has already been made, shooting down one or two ships shouldn't prevent the pact.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 02:37:17 pm »
Yeah, I know. But what about alien base construction? It was always fun for me when aliens make a survey with small ships first, and then build their base no matter if xcom destroy all their battleships, that covering mission, so the player just farming this mission. I think, more natural if aliens would decide that this site would not fit for their secret base =)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
So shooting down UFOs is ruled out - how about a more...clandestine...approach?

X-Com does have access to "impersonatron"-technolgy later in the game, right?

What's to say X-Com can't "impersonate" aliens for a change? Seeing how X-Com get's to defend VIPs in their mansions every so often, why not switch it up a bit and assault the mansion of a VIP/council member/politician in a country that has signed a pact with the oh-so-kind alien forces?

What will the general public of that country think of "aliens" who massacre one of their beloved idols and their security? X-Com might not be able to change a political agreement made between a foreign government and alien forces, but what about the people who elected said government in the first place?

Of course, you can only equip alien weapons and items on such a mission, and you might have to use crafts that aren't "widely known" to the general public. Armors are also out as they would interfer with the impersonatron.

Desperate times, desperate measures...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:41:23 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:52 pm »
Infiktration is signing a secret pact, its not about democracy and public opinion...

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 06:29:39 pm »
And who actually "signs" the pact? Who/how does a country withdraw from the council of funding nations? Why build official embassies?

This is about a "political agreement", meaning it involves the public and the government on some level - it has to. Ergo this policy can of course be reversed if the publi can be "convinced" otherwise.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 08:08:46 pm »
Still wondering about the clinic logs thing, if anyone can answer that. Can they only appear in the ADVENT clinic missions or do they show up elsewhere?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »
There are 2 clinic types, each with own reward, you need both

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 09:15:48 pm »
There are 2 clinic types, each with own reward, you need both

I can't remember which size one I did and I haven't seen either for a while- I think that's because the embassy is now on "old" but I'm not completely sure that's the cause. Should I wait for another embassy to open up or do I just need to get lucky?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:14 pm »
When coming to old it spawns much fewer missions, but they're still a chance