Author Topic: Crash when loading OG save  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Chefkoch

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Crash when loading OG save
« on: April 08, 2023, 05:44:27 pm »
Hi there,

I think I just ran into the same error as the original poster, but under different circumstances.

I downloaded OXC yesterday (OpenXcom Version: 1.0 git 2023-04-01 03:34, says the log file)
Everything worked fine, starting a new campaign and so on. Thanks to everyone for putting in all the effort, great job :)

Now I wanted to load my old save games into OXC.

I followed most of the instruction in that install tutorial video.

• I copied all my 10 old save games into the OpenXcom-xcom1 folder.
    I start OXC, click load game and see my OXC save games from my new campagin. Fine so far.
    I click original X-Com on the bottom of the screen, and see my 10 old save games, including correct file names and everything.

This is where it get a littly shady.
Here's the thing: apparently, I cannot open old saves games that have an ingame date of 2000 or later.

If I try to open an old save game where the ingame date is post-2000 (e.g. May 2000), the game crashes leading to the exact same error message as in the original post here.

If I try to open an old save game where the ingame date is pre-2000 (e.g. May 1999), everything works just fine.

Here is something that I consider interesting: If I start my original X-Com via Steam, I can, of course load a save game from post-2000 (e.g., the one that I could not start in OXC).

When I now save the game and overwrite a pre-2000 save slot (e.g. the one from above, May 1999 that was already demonstrated to work fine in OXC) - then this very save (which is now post-2000 will also lead to the exact same error message (Segmentation fault).

This means, I can only load old save games when the ingame time is max. 1999.
I cannot load saves with ingame date greater than 1999.
That's at least my conclusion :)

Anything I can do here? Thanks for helping me out, if possible!

Attached are:

* GAME_1.zip - the save game I would like to, but cannot load in OXC (ingame date post-2000)

* GAME_9.zip - the save game I can load in OXC, but have next to no interest in (ingame date pre-2000)

* the log file from the most recent attempt to launch GAME_1, which resulted in a fail

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Crash when loading OG save
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 06:36:26 pm »
Hi there Mr. Koch

1/ have you modified the save manually (this one or any previous one in the campaign)?

2/ did you lose a base at some point?

3/ in which base was Captain Vincent Hannah stationed?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 07:09:30 pm »
Attached is your save converted to OpenXcom.

But please answer also the questions above.

Offline Chefkoch

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 09:39:35 pm »
Jesus, thank you Meridian, the converted save files works! Thanks a lot!

Regarding your questions:
No, I've never edited a save file in any way. I actually never looked at the files until just now when I copied them to the xcom1-folder

No, I never lost a base, to my knowledge. I wasn't even attacked at any point in time. The only thing that happened during the game was that the USA withdrew from the CFN, sadly enough, but my base on their soil remains operational.

Vincent Hannah... I cant find him in any of my bases. I have Neil Maccauley though, who is stationed in my base in Cayenne, South America. Would have expected Hannah to be there as well... That's a little bit odd, I should have both of them in my ranks...

I cant seem to find him, but I'll edit here, if I should see him somewhere.

Thanks again for your quick help, highly appreciated!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 09:46:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I have deleted Vincent Hannah from the game... he was causing the crash... he was assigned to a non-existing base... I don't know why (or how it could even happen).

I have also deleted one transfer of 8 flying suits, which were due to arrive in 5 hours... somewhere... again to the same non-existing base.

Other than these two things, the save should be exactly as in the original.