aliens

Author Topic: soldier converter?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
soldier converter?
« on: May 13, 2020, 04:58:13 am »

There should really be a soldier converter. If your version of xcom is modded, then the save converter doesn't work.

I am trying to get my old soldier into my new Hybrid xcom game. There appears to be no way to do this.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: soldier converter?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 08:08:17 am »
Convert the vanilla save to an OpenXcom save, then copy the soldier from the OpenXcom save to your modded save.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:47:53 am »
I found the soldier data within the save file, but I am a bit confused on what to copy and where to paste. Is there a tutorial for this somewhere?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:46 am »
What exactly are you trying to do?

1. move a soldier from "unmodded xcom" to "unmodded openxcom" ? should be trivial
2. move a soldier from "unmodded xcom" to "modded openxcom" ? should also be trivial, but if not, use the method SupSuper described
3. move a soldier from "modded xcom" to "unmodded openxcom" ? if there are any changes in modded xcom save format, we won't be able to import it
4. move a soldier from "modded xcom" to "modded openxcom" ? same as point 3

5. move a soldier from "unmodded openxcom" to "modded openxcom" ? should be trivial
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:31:35 am by Meridian »

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:53 pm »
options 3 and 4. I think there should be a more user friendly way to do it. From what I gather now, I have to copy and paste text inside the sav file

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 02:32:21 pm »
options 3 and 4. I think there should be a more user friendly way to do it. From what I gather now, I have to copy and paste text inside the sav file

But we cannot guarantee (or even predict) anything that happens when working with "modded xcom".
I don't see how we can help.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:45:03 am »
well, can I at least get some help with what to copy in order to port a soldier over? The current method is copying text inside the save file, right?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 10:32:55 am »
well, can I at least get some help with what to copy in order to port a soldier over? The current method is copying text inside the save file, right?

You cannot copy a soldier over from xcom to openxcom.
The save formats are completely incompatible.
The only way to port a soldier (and the entire save) from xcom to openxcom is using the openxcom save converter.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:10:59 pm »
There is always the extreme manual approach (assuming you know how to edit an openxcom save correctly).

* Open the original save in dosbox version of xcom.
* For each soldier open their information screen and note their numbers (and other important information).
* Make sure you have an openxcom save with enough soldiers in a base (call them dummies)
* Open an openxcom save and put those numbers there (using the dummy soldier)

Might take some time though.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:42 pm »
You cannot copy a soldier over from xcom to openxcom.
The save formats are completely incompatible.
The only way to port a soldier (and the entire save) from xcom to openxcom is using the openxcom save converter.

I understand that.

I have a bunch of veteran soldiers from the Final mod pack. I want to now use them in the Hybrid Mod. How to I port them over?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 11:42:16 pm »
Just find the soldier in the save file (easiest by name) and copy/paste the whole section (YAML node) into the second save. You can leave out the soldier diaries if you don't want them.