Author Topic: Sprinting slows on enemy spotted instead of stopping  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sprinting slows on enemy spotted instead of stopping
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:22:55 pm »
When you sprint (ctrl+move, alternate movement methods) your soldier doesn't stop when they spot an enemy. If you're playing on high speed this turns it into a realtime game of "can I interrupt movement fast enough". It's a well-intentioned feature as stopping on every single enemy can get incredibly tedious. But slightly gamebreaking if you're sprinting around with few spotted enemies to avoid fire.

Instead I propose that if you spot an enemy while sprinting, the game will set movement speed for the next step to be extremely slow. This gives players the option to pause in a timely manner when they see an enemy, while still automatically continuing if they do not interrupt movement by right-clicking.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sprinting slows on enemy spotted instead of stopping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:27:03 pm »
The primary intention wasn't to prevent stopping on every single enemy.
For that, there is a different hotkey: shift+move.

The intention was to give you additional penalty for running.
Running was/is seen as having way more advantages (less TU cost) than disadvantages (more Energy cost).
That's why an option to not stop during running was introduced to balance it.
If you don't like that penalty in some mod, you can turn it off (option is called "extendedRunningCost", and is turned off by default).

Your suggestion -- slowing down the game animation -- is rejected.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Sprinting slows on enemy spotted instead of stopping
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:34 am »
Thank you, that covers everything I didn't know I wanted to know.