aliens

Author Topic: About difficulty  (Read 2572 times)

Offline sunkship203

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
About difficulty
« on: May 09, 2020, 11:48:32 pm »
I have some questions about some in-battle characteristics, i noticed most enemies get tougher as you advance in the game, but to what point?

What actually makes them tougher? Researching captures or their corpses?
At first, i could shot down giant spiders with ease, but now they tank 5 shots of Nitro Express rifles. The only kind of enemy that retains its difficulty level disregard their weaponry are humans; by sprite design you can understand which one can be tougher among them, you can always suspect a brand new enemy of this characteristic too.

I think i realize im not THAT far in the game, and there is a whole lot of content im yet to discover, but up to this point im asking myself these questions that maybe one of you could answer.
So, to get to the point, what kind of weaponry deals real damage?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
Re: About difficulty
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:29:57 am »
No enemy gains more hp as the game progresses, however you can middleclick enemies to determine their faction and their sprite, which, for spiders, is important due to generic spiders being weak with other much more tanky variants.

Offline sunkship203

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:20:21 am »
however you can middleclick enemies to determine their faction and their sprite, which, for spiders, is important due to generic spiders being weak with other much more tanky variants.

"by sprite design you can understand which one can be tougher among them, you can always suspect a brand new enemy of this characteristic too."

yeah, thats not what i meant about this, what i mean is why the same enemies suddenly start tanking more shots, which you already answer something.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 06:09:47 am »
existing enemies do not get tougher.
however, new ones come.
but its really rare (basically no, but 1 or 2 exceptions) that they look like existing ones.

so either you f'd up your new equipment choice or the one you´re using is very variable on dmg and you´re having a bad streak...

Offline sunkship203

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:04 am »
existing enemies do not get tougher.
however, new ones come.
but its really rare (basically no, but 1 or 2 exceptions) that they look like existing ones.

so either you f'd up your new equipment choice or the one you´re using is very variable on dmg and you´re having a bad streak...

haha! i think it was a mixture of variable damage and bad luck, i have better equipment now and dont feel underpowered, for the moment at least.
thought that enemies buffed with time and kicked your ass back, but was completely on the wrong. Thank you both for clearing that up.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:43:09 pm »
Yeah old enemies don't get buffed. They might get different guns, but AFAIK crap cultists still get stuck with crap guns - or no guns.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 10:38:04 pm »
If you go to New Battle and open UFOpedia you can have the entire UFOpedia spoiled in an easily readable format so you know exactly what armor/resists enemies have.

In a nutshell, EXALT goons (vest) and Red Dawn pioneers (camo suit) have the same armor as kevlar vests, meaning that heavy weapons or slugs will often do almost triple the damage of SMGs, and shotguns will do almost nothing.

Human enemies tend to have 40 hp. Also 40 reactions, and leather dodge is 0.4*reactions, so just 16 melee dodge.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 09:36:07 am »
Nitro Express is decent against EXALT Goons as well. An agent with 70 accuracy will deliver 61 damage (33 + 28), almost double the firepower. I think they have 80% kinetic resist so that's a whooping 48 damage. If their Kevlar tanks it from the front, then its 28 damage. Anywhere else, they probably drop.

If you get a 150% roll, then its 91 damage. 91 % 80 = 72,8. Minus 28, 52. They dead.

Btw the thing with the spiders is cheap. No way to know if its a normal spider or one of the super tough one.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk