Author Topic: Radar mathematics  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Henrik

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Radar mathematics
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:39:33 am »
Hi all!
 I have a couple question about the scalability of the radars.

According to he sources I read, the long-range radars make a sweep in every (10 or 30 minute). If it is true, then having multiple radar makes sense (since they increase the sweeping frequency). With more long-range radar (often sweeping), I have a better chance to catch alien ship, which is in my radar range just for a couple minute.
  But other sources said, the detection bar is bugged, and more than one long range radar is useless.

I have read  a couple (contradicting) information about the detection-probability. Source "A" says: long-range radar has a 5% detection chance for every 10 minute. But source "B" said: a long-range radar has a 20% detection range in every 30 minute. 1-0,05^3 =/= 0,8  So, at least one of the two source is wrong.

I have read, that the hyper-wave decoder has 100% detection probability. What does it means? It can capture the communication of the ships with 100% probability IF they are communicating, and the decoder is sweeping right now? Are the ships always communicating?

Well, I don't speak english, so if I wrote something unintelligible, quote it, and i try to rewrite it...

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Radar mathematics
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:24:59 pm »
This is covered by UFOpedia here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO_Detection

Basically, they only detect UFOs at 30 minute intervals which you can see yourself by watching what the time is every time you detect something new.

In the original game, radar doesn't stack, even though base information page seems to indicate more is better. Radar stacking have been fixed in OpenXCom (and I think also in ufo extender / xcom utils).

Not entirely sure how they are stacking when fixed, but I'm guessing they stack multiplicative and not additive, and they still only check every 30 minutes.

Would be nice if you could detect more often than every 30 minutes, but with current mechanic that also means you'd lose tracking of them faster when moving out of radar coverage.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:41 pm »
This is covered by UFOpedia here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO_Detection

Basically, they only detect UFOs at 30 minute intervals which you can see yourself by watching what the time is every time you detect something new.

In the original game, radar doesn't stack, even though base information page seems to indicate more is better. Radar stacking have been fixed in OpenXCom (and I think also in ufo extender / xcom utils).

Not entirely sure how they are stacking when fixed, but I'm guessing they stack multiplicative and not additive, and they still only check every 30 minutes.

Would be nice if you could detect more often than every 30 minutes, but with current mechanic that also means you'd lose tracking of them faster when moving out of radar coverage.
In OXCE (extended version but some mechanics bit different) you can try implement your own version of radar stacking (not all info is available to script yet).
For interval, this is not easy to do without breaking all blance and not diverting from original.  I had once plan to change it but it was bit to invasive to be add to OXCE.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 08:08:23 pm »
Hey Yankes,  do you have a reference to this info regarding the different mechanics in OXCE? I'm reading the OXCE source, but not everything is immediately apparent, my C++ is rusty.

In OXCE (extended version but some mechanics bit different) you can try implement your own version of radar stacking (not all info is available to script yet).
For interval, this is not easy to do without breaking all blance and not diverting from original.  I had once plan to change it but it was bit to invasive to be add to OXCE.

I'm working on some facility mods for classic UFO and X-COM Files and want to understand all the base attributes in how they work.  I found a lot of good info on the classic UFO base facilities here:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Base_Facilities_(EU)#Initial_vs._Researched_Facilities

I can read the source rul files for X-COM Files, but I'm having trouble finding the source info for the classic UFO base facilities in the source files?  I'm looking for it in the OXCE github repo, but thinking it's located maybe in the original DOS floppy content?  is there a readable version of all the details for original UFO base content?  I'm look for all the content attributes that get loaded into these properties for the default game:
https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/blob/oxce-plus/src/Mod/RuleBaseFacility.cpp

Thanks!

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 08:45:17 pm »
No, OXC rulesets for base game have noting to do with floppy disk, most of this was hardcoded in original exe anyway.
OXC load graphic and maps from org game.
For rulesets look here: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/tree/oxce-plus/bin/standard/xcom1