Author Topic: [Feedback] More info in the Ufopedia item articles  (Read 4862 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Visual help space for modders.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 10:19:33 am »
Why would it be perversion though?

Have you seen a tooltip with a scrollbar in any game or application? I can't think of any. It probably exists, but maybe in 1 app out of 10000.

And regardless of that, the point in this specific case is to display information that doesn't fit on screen... if it doesn't fit on tooltip either, then it's not any better. Then we can just add a scrollbar on the main article without needing a tooltip.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 01:16:51 pm »
I'm not asking for a scrollbar on a tooltip, that's pervert.
Just saying that we have 320x200 pixels; and modders like to overdo everything...

meleeAlter may be rare in XCF, but it's not rare in Piratez for example.
OXCE is not made for XCF, it's made for everybody.

And if something looks ugly, I prefer not taking it at all over letting it be ugly.

Right now, we have vanilla pedia and we have stats for nerds... I understand you want to make something inbetween.
I wish you good luck (honestly!), but I reserve the right to not merge it if I don't like it. That's all.

I completely agree with you on all points. Of course, when it comes to developing OXCE, I don't just think about XCF, but try to take into account all the mods. In a recent commit, I deliberately set the defaults for the new properties to be rather uncomfortable for XCF, but that way they won't affect any mods that already use related mechanics.
Yesterday I tried to do a little digging in the code on these tooltips, but nothing is productive yet - I am too inexperienced. Of course, if I take this seriously, I will inform about the details of the implementation, in order to avoid doing things that are not suitable for OXCE, there is no profit for me in this.
If I get away from the topic of pop-up tooltips a bit and consider my excitement about the hidden section of damageAlter for the player. I'd like to suggest adding an * sign after the value of power to the ufopedia item article if the rules describe the damageAlter or meleeAlter section for that item whose power value.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:19:57 pm by Finnik »

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
Have you seen a tooltip with a scrollbar in any game or application? I can't think of any. It probably exists, but maybe in 1 app out of 10000.

And regardless of that, the point in this specific case is to display information that doesn't fit on screen... if it doesn't fit on tooltip either, then it's not any better. Then we can just add a scrollbar on the main article without needing a tooltip.

OH!
thought you were talking about the description, not the tooltip.
Sorry!
I think adding an automatic scrollbar (i.e.: the scrollbar truncates and is generated automatically) or a paging system for ufopaedia entries would be good. Specially since XCF does have multiple pages for the same weapon just because the ammo descriptions didn't fit the first article.