aliens

Author Topic: [Solved] Bullet sprites per ammo  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
[Solved] Bullet sprites per ammo
« on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:13 am »
Accuracy modifiers for bullets? Should be good.
How about other thing - bullet sprite for bullets, not launcher?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:10:52 am by Meridian »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Bullet sprites per ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:47:59 am »
Bullet sprites per ammo could be very useful!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:12:54 am »
Bullet sprites per ammo could be very useful!

I will sound like an old grumpy man... and I'm sorry for that... but I would really appreciate if you tried to convey the message a little bit more seriously.

From the sentence above, it just feels like a random shout into the darkness from a person that randomly agrees with random stuff someone else says just for sake of saying something.

Consider:
- was the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence necessary? does it convey the real importance of this feature?
- is it useful? or very useful? if it's so "very" useful how come we ask for it only now after 10 years of openxcom?
- "could" it be useful or "would" it be useful? because if it just "could" be useful to someone in some situation in some time in the future, it sounds more like a nice-to-have that I will put on the bottom of the list, instead of a feature that is actually required (and blocking the modder) that I would put much higher on the list
- do you have any existing weapons in XCF/TWOTS that need this feature or is this for future weapons?
- how many such weapons are you planning? 1, 10, 100?

We communicate over a very impersonal channel here... and unfortunately I cannot read minds yet... so please, pretty please, at least you modders, try to convey the message in a little bit more professional way.

I love Nord's work and I respect work done on XCF... and I will try to implement as much as I can... but my todolist is already practically endless and I need to know the "real" desire, urgency and usefulness of a feature request... otherwise I am just going to have to ignore it and work on something else.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:37:26 am »
Also, bullet sprites per ammo is possible already, also in OXC, at least since 2014... I didn't look further into the past.

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_HC_HE_AMMO
    bulletSprite: 7

...gives this ammo a laser bullet sprite.

PS: I've split the discussion into a separate thread
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:42:49 am by Meridian »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:52 am »
Did'nt see it. My excuses. Thank you.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 01:19:02 pm »
First of all, sorry, I didn’t know that it’s possible to change bullet sprite from ammo item, I should look at ruleset reference closer.
With "could" I meant that I will use it with existing XCF weapons if it's possible (I realize now that it is, thank you!), its good addition for player immersion, but it is not blocking me or anything so I would be ok if its in TODO even at its bottom. Its only 2 weapons in XCF I'm talking about, so it's not a big deal. If something is blocking me, I'm asking in discord or make a forum post with a suggestion, and I'm trying to propose a solution if it's possible to do it with my skills.

But I understand what you mean, I will take forum posts and replies more seriously.