aliens

Author Topic: Alien base wall bug  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Quark01

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Alien base wall bug
« on: February 26, 2020, 08:55:28 pm »
Hello to all. I have just found a little bug inside openxcom. The bug occurs in xcom 1 inside an alien base when I detonate something, the walls seem to flash for a second.
But not all walls, only those that reproduce an alien habitat (Ubase_01 and Ubase09). Is a known issue? I don't remember a similar effect in the original dos game.
I am currently using a recent build (openxcom_git_master_2020_02_16_2307) under windows 10 pro
My pc: ryzen 2700, mb: Gigabyte B450M DS3H with 16 giga ram and radeon rx 570

Nice game and great port to the modern pc. thx for all.  :)

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Alien base wall bug
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:17:33 pm »
These plates are from the "normal" game.
But in my archives I see that there is a "universal patch" (2014?) for UFO Defense which concerns these plates.

Note: There is also a patch for TFTD "normal" game.

Offline Quark01

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:01:02 pm »
Hello, thanks for the reply :). I have already installed the patches. (found in the download / extra section of openxcom). I'm starting to think it's not game data problem, but an engine issue.
I took a screenshot of the problem and noticed that the change of palette is generalized to everything and is more visible in dark environments such as alien walls. Is this a desired effect? or a bug?

Note that the explosion flash expands into separate and independent environments.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:03:46 pm by Quark01 »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 04:29:50 pm »
Is this a desired effect? or a bug?

It's an effect copied from the 1994 original.
I wouldn't call it desired, rather "painfully tolerated".

If you don't want it, you can use OXCE (Openxcom Extended)... removing this flash was the first thing I did for OXCE many years ago.

Offline Quark01

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:41:02 am »
Hi, Meridian i have tried OXCE, works fine and there is no more flash. Thank you :) .