Author Topic: Dropping items onto ground from soldier inventory & lack of space for wide items  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The game seems to reserve at minimum only one empty column of "ground space" for dropping items on the equipment pile.  This usually isn't a problem except when trying to drop an item like the mind probe which is a 2x2 item.  Usually, there is plenty of space on the last "page" (using the scroll right on-screen button) but on rare occasions only 1 column is left empty and the game won't allow the mind probe to be dropped into a single column.  Pressing scroll right button again will just go to the start of the equipment pile instead of a blank ground screen.

I experience this issue when equipping my squad on the craft prior to leaving the base sometimes.

There are several ways to make available ground space show up, such as pressing Q and entering a filter string which might only be available in OXCE, but it seems to be an unnecessary extra effort just to be able to drop something.

One idea for improvement would be to reserve a minimum of two columns empty space.

Or if it is simpler to code, make the empty ground "page" always show up before jumping back to the start of equipment pile list.  Although I suppose this might annoy some people.

Or a hot key to just drop whatever has been picked up by the mouse pointer.  I've noticed right clicking on empty space anywhere just puts the item back into the inventory slot it was picked from.  Left clicking on empty space (not ground space) anywhere seems to do nothing.

Or allow the item to dropped on the word "GROUND" or on top of another item that doesn't take ammo so as not to conflict with the ammo swap out capability.

I apologize if this doesn't apply to OXC (I am making an assumption from observed OXCE behavior) or if this doesn't apply with the latest versions.  If this only applies to OXCE feel free to move it to that subforum.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
ctrl+lclick

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Thanks!

I thought there might already be an easy way, but I failed to find it in the forum search and the hot key/shortcut list I looked at didn't show it.  I even tried shift ctrl alt with the mouse buttons but had made the mistake of pre selecting the item with the mouse instead of ctrl clicking the item while it was still in the inventory slot.