aliens

Author Topic: [ARMOR] [GRAPHICS] Alternate Personal for UFO  (Read 5992 times)

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
[ARMOR] [GRAPHICS] Alternate Personal for UFO
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:54:42 pm »
Greetings,

Been working with photoshop alongside my commendation/art efforts on variants to soldier art (currently personal armor) with my take.  Alteration is primarily female soldiers as I never cared much for the Male armor look.

Have a few other small projects going but this has been my focus of late.
As being an less than an expert,  looking for feedback on my work.  Plan on sharing soon if there's interest.

Essentially complete minus some tochups for bad pixels I've finished on PC but not transferred to phone where I'm posting.  This is focused on the Inv PaperDolls and keeps existing color scheme so no changes made to spritesheets.
Samples below:

Other efforts aside from commendations has been expanding UFO paperdoll faces and I've quite a few now.  Most of the female faces are copied from other mods (namely xcom files) so.this I wont share unless I've looked into the the author(s) position on usage.  Male faces have 10.or.12 originals /alterations I think.
A few of the blonds shown.

Thanks for any feedback.

Gaffer

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] [GRAPHICS] Alternate Personal for UFO
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:08:24 pm »
A great look/interpretation of the personal armor by SirTiefling reimagined in pixel OXCE style.
Working on spritesheet, coming along.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 07:07:45 pm »
Yay! New faces! And nice ones too!

Offline Ninja

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »
Well if you done and have like 97 Faces or Maybe 100 ist posible to get all that files ?

is easy to make new Skins at battlescape but inventory are still as example the vanilla female nr.1 just with an number to see what
look:
from savegame that toon has from
spriteFaceGroup:
and
spriteHairColor:

working with vanilla without green and pink hair are also

spriteFaceGroup:
  0-  0 orginal   1
 14- 23 ligther to darker   10
 94-103 ligther to darker   10
144-151 ligther to darker   8
160-167 ligther to darker   8   = 37 Faces
with a red yellow or Grey touch or Basic touch

spriteHairColor:
  0-  0 orginal   1
  1-  6 grey   5
 16- 22 red to blonde   6
 32- 38 red   6
 48- 54 green       6
 64- 70 green      6
 80- 86 withe/grey   6
 96-102 blonde/brown   6
112-118 blue      6
128-124 blue      6
144-150 blonde/brown   6
160-166 braune/brown   6
176-182 purple      6
192-198 purple      6
208-214 blue      6
224-230 Grey to blue   6
240-246 Grey to black   6
there at least 2 more working hair rows with pink and green i guess

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:35:52 pm »
Well if you done and have like 97 Faces or Maybe 100 ist posible to get all that files ?

is easy to make new Skins at battlescape but inventory are still as example the vanilla female nr.1 just with an number to see what
look:
from savegame that toon has from
spriteFaceGroup:
and
spriteHairColor:

working with vanilla without green and pink hair are also

spriteFaceGroup:
  0-  0 orginal   1
 14- 23 ligther to darker   10
 94-103 ligther to darker   10
144-151 ligther to darker   8
160-167 ligther to darker   8   = 37 Faces
with a red yellow or Grey touch or Basic touch

spriteHairColor:
  0-  0 orginal   1
  1-  6 grey   5
 16- 22 red to blonde   6
 32- 38 red   6
 48- 54 green       6
 64- 70 green      6
 80- 86 withe/grey   6
 96-102 blonde/brown   6
112-118 blue      6
128-124 blue      6
144-150 blonde/brown   6
160-166 braune/brown   6
176-182 purple      6
192-198 purple      6
208-214 blue      6
224-230 Grey to blue   6
240-246 Grey to black   6
there at least 2 more working hair rows with pink and green i guess

Be great to collaborate as I've not touched on the hair/Sprite color battlescape editing.  As far as original faces (not reworked from other mods, ie xcomfiles pirates, twots, morefaces, etc.) I probably have done between 30 and 45 (have to ck) faces /paperdolls with jumpsuit and personal Armor variant.)  Easy to crank out given the time I can probably reach that number in the near future.

Just need to find the time!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:28:21 pm »
Overall idea was that you can match battle sprite to inventory sprite, not other way around.
Mechanism that do it can be applied to inventory too, but it would needs some tweaks in code and solving how it should interact with inventory layers (this is used to reduce work what you need to do to handle multiple armors).

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 05:18:39 am »
Overall idea was that you can match battle sprite to inventory sprite, not other way around.
Mechanism that do it can be applied to inventory too, but it would needs some tweaks in code and solving how it should interact with inventory layers (this is used to reduce work what you need to do to handle multiple armors).

That does seem the more logical and practical method.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 02:35:47 am »
Will you publish these new faces some day? More variety would be welcome, especially female faces are in short supply!

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 05:18:27 am »
Will you publish these new faces some day? More variety would be welcome, especially female faces are in short supply!
Its definitely on my todo list.
It originally started as a port of the More Faces mod by Nord to vanilla OXCE with cherry picked faces I wanted in UFODefense then started making my own adding to the existing ports list in the yaml file.

All the faces I have are individual paper dolls for each armor set and I wasnt sure If I was going to complete it as individual dolls or migrate everything to the layered style and that's where I got hung up and back burnered my work on it.  I felt I got more variety with individual dolls as some faces are more unique and because they dont fit a cookie cutter "layer" piece so I need to decide which direction I'm going as I dont think I'd have time to commit both and secondly it would be silly to have both I think.  Maybe not?

I'd also been 'reserving' (in my head) faces for a 'mega' mod I've been drafting/dreaming with scope/size of.some of the more popular large mods/conversions but find my self lacking in time to learn how to create/implement the amount of code/assets required to make it unique or even playable. 

Short answer, Yes.  As time permits I'll try to get this out.  I just need to decide  which style (individual or layered) I'll post up for consumption. 

Btw your XPiratez mod is incredible and I really enjoy it , thank you and those involved for making it.  It is my pipe dream to create something as unique and fun to play as it is.  Perhaps not as large scale though, perhaps more attainable!  Someday maybe I can get help and make it happen.  I think the ideas I have are cool but the road looks daunting.

I will certainly shoot to produce a download in the near future

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:22:38 am by gaffer »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 08:17:48 pm »
Well I don't use standarized bodies either, each face comes with unique body (well, semi-unique - sometimes there's simply no need/inspiration, but the data structure I keep make it possible to change that at a whim). Layering doesn't make a difference here - it only makes the whole process of implementation a LOT faster and easier, not to mention much more compact, especially if you have dozens of armors.

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 07:41:52 pm »
Well I don't use standarized bodies either, each face comes with unique body (well, semi-unique - sometimes there's simply no need/inspiration, but the data structure I keep make it possible to change that at a whim). Layering doesn't make a difference here - it only makes the whole process of implementation a LOT faster and easier, not to mention much more compact, especially if you have dozens of armors.

Do you have an example of your data structure for reference? Perhaps in Xpiratez files?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 08:37:36 pm »
Do you have an example of your data structure for reference? Perhaps in Xpiratez files?

Check this out, I made it explicitly as a working example:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8352.0.html

EDIT: I see you've already responded there before, so I guess it's not that helpful. Oh well.

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 01:40:24 am »
Yes, Solaris! I did download your example and looked through it.  Wasnt sure if Dioxine had something different. he mentioned a data structure that could be changed at a whim (easily?)  Thanks again for the example structure.  If I do my large mod, I have 8 to 10 armors I wanted to use so it would be beneficial then I believe.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 01:49:36 pm »
Looking at the structure in Piratez, it looks pretty similar. The only possibly differences are that, say, helmet or cloak layers may have different numbers, but it shouldn't be a big problem, and I don't even know if they are actually different. So I believe you can just check layersDefaultPrefix properties in armours (file Piratez.Armors.rul) to make sure that the layers are correct.

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 08:23:15 pm »
So I believe you can just check layersDefaultPrefix properties in armours (file Piratez.Armors.rul) to make sure that the layers are correct.

Will check this out.  Thanks!