aliens

Author Topic: TFTD art request  (Read 4042 times)

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
TFTD art request
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:45:17 am »
No idea if this'll produce anything, but why the hell not?

I'm working on an Aqua-Plastics Rework for TFTD, and I could use some help with art assets.

These are pretty much outside the scope of my artistic ability:
* UFOPedia graphics for the stock X-Com Diving Suit
* Full assets (UFOPedia/Battlescape/Paperdoll) for the "Plastic Plated Diving Suit". The idea is that X-Com doesn't know how to make flexible Aqua-plastics, so the dive helmet is replaced with a Plastic Aqua-Armor like one [or something else, open to interpretation], and the fabric/rubber dive suit looks much the same, but has a few rigid ballistic plates in it [Thinking along the lines of present-day body armor].

I might be able to puzzle something out for these, but maybe someone here can bang something out really quick:
* UFOPedia / Battlescape graphics for "Plastic Coelecanths" - These use conventional Coelecanth components, but incorporate Aqua-plastics into their frames and exterior plating. I'm kinda thinking maybe just a pallet-swap?
* UFOPedia and Base(Hangar) graphics for Plastic Barracuda and Plastic Triton flying subs. Again, thinking mostly pallet-swap.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD art request
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:50 pm »
* UFOPedia / Battlescape graphics for "Plastic Coelecanths" - These use conventional Coelecanth components, but incorporate Aqua-plastics into their frames and exterior plating. I'm kinda thinking maybe just a pallet-swap?

You may find the recoloured Coelecanths found in these two threads to be useful:
(#1) Drages Weapon Sprite Collection (Page 3)
(#2) HWP Tractors another reimagining of the Coelacanth for XCOM (By SteamXCOM)

Additionally you can download the image template for the Coelacanth from Falko's (Excellent) OpenXcom Modding Tool Site:

To download the template click "Tools" then "HWP Builder" followed by "Select a Unit" then "Drawingroutine 11: Coelacanth" then click "Download Template".

To make a Template able to be used with
OpenXcom: Click "Upload Template" then when that finishes click "Split" followed by "Download spritesheet" and then use the resulting Sprite sheet with OpenXcom.

From my experience the template is usually easier to work with than tackling the sprite sheet directly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:17:00 pm by The Martian »

wcho035

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 02:19:28 pm »
Why don't you download my Hybrid mod? I got the Coelacanth tank and code in the game.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7587.0.html

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:05:32 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I love the gunmetal-gray Coelecanth at the top of the Drages post. But maybe I'm doing a dumb, I can't find anything resembling a download link....

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I love the gunmetal-gray Coelecanth at the top of the Drages post. But maybe I'm doing a dumb, I can't find anything resembling a download link....

In the past I asked Drages about that gunmetal Coelacanth and he mentioned that it was included in his "S.A.R. HWP/AI Mod V.0.60" Mod.

For convenience I've attached the sprite sheet from that mod to this post.

Although now that I look at it, this doesn't seem to be a match to the gunmetal image.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:30:34 pm by The Martian »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:26:16 pm »
I tried to edit the sprite sheet and get it close to the gunmetal version seen in the screenshot.

There are a few places the gunmetal image doesn't match in my version of it:
. The treads are not the same chrome shade as the gunmetal version.
. The gunmetal version does not have a grate on the back of the Coelacanth.
. The headlights are a bit more white.

Here is a side by side comparison of my altered version and the original gunmetal screenshot:

I've attached the sprite sheet to this post, it should be in the correct palette for X-Com: Enemy Unknown.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:45:12 pm by The Martian »

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:14:19 pm »
Thanks, The Martian!

My mod is for TFTD, and presumably TFTD uses it's own palette. is that going to cause problems with your artwork in the EU palette? Or is OpenXCom able to run both palettes side-by-side?

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 07:41:57 pm »
My mod is for TFTD

I'm sorry, I forgot the Coelacanth was for TFTD and converted the image to X-Com: Enemy Unknown's palette out of habit. My understanding is that it won't work correctly with TFTD while the image is using this palette.

It appears Falko's Tool only converts an image's palette from TFTD to EU and not the reverse. (Unless I'm mistaken?)

SupSuper posted TFTD palette files HERE. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the art programs that are compatible with these files to make use of them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:24:28 pm by The Martian »

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, I've taken a look at the stock Coelecanth artwork and palette in Gimp, and I don't think that gunmetal-gray appearance is possible at all in TFTD.