aliens

Author Topic: Rats  (Read 5154 times)

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Rats
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:31:05 pm »
I had only one mission with only one rat that I managed to bring back alive. Done the research and now waiting for a mission with rats but none so far in 2 years.
As far as I have tested Land survey was unable to bring back living rats just rat corpses. So I wonder if it's possible that land survey could bring back   some living units that has an utility as xcom units

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:43 pm »
I had only one mission with only one rat that I managed to bring back alive. Done the research and now waiting for a mission with rats but none so far in 2 years.
As far as I have tested Land survey was unable to bring back living rats just rat corpses. So I wonder if it's possible that land survey could bring back   some living units that has an utility as xcom units

Yeah, right now getting rats are a bit problematic if the RNG doesn't like you.
I've been thinking about some sort of rat breeding program, but it's hard to balance properly.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
after xcom rats a new research topic rat breeding program that allows to buy rats for money (you still have to train xcom rats)

another solution is the possibility to generate missions for money (low level or deprecated ones) to bring back some rats, arrest some mad men (no one show so far), seek some alien fuel traces (even if for this one there's land survey if you're lucky) to make flare. Or even track down MIB (got only one with a CAWS and no blackops magnum so far)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »
just put some corn on the ground and wait. rats love corn... XD

Offline Spiralize

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 03:37:58 pm »
Or maybe instead of breeding the mutants you're mutating your own. If ratcruitment cost engineer hours and energetic blood, then it would probably be possible to balance.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »
Conversation at the Biolab:

I will name you Splinter.
Now it's time for martial arts training.

Do we have some turtles somewhere ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:16:09 pm »
after xcom rats a new research topic rat breeding program that allows to buy rats for money (you still have to train xcom rats)

Brilliant, why didn't I think of this?
/sarcasm

another solution is the possibility to generate missions for money (low level or deprecated ones) to bring back some rats, arrest some mad men (no one show so far), seek some alien fuel traces (even if for this one there's land survey if you're lucky) to make flare. Or even track down MIB (got only one with a CAWS and no blackops magnum so far)

...what? Missions to necro your rats?
I mean, it's technically doable, but... what?

just put some corn on the ground and wait. rats love corn... XD

Yes, they do! :)

Or maybe instead of breeding the mutants you're mutating your own. If ratcruitment cost engineer hours and energetic blood, then it would probably be possible to balance.

No, you can't just mutate your own giant rats from normal rats. At least not within timeframes such as in this game.

Conversation at the Biolab:

I will name you Splinter.
Now it's time for martial arts training.

Do we have some turtles somewhere ?

This never gets old, eh? :)

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 06:42:58 pm »
Sorry for posting on the old topic, but I want to ask a question about rats and there is no other topic titled "Rat".

A rat sees an MIB agent through a wall. An X-COM agent from the same position does not. Is it a rat feature or what?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:50:08 pm by Fomka »

Offline chronocide_commando

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 01:08:34 am »
Yes. Psi sense. Basically they can see enemies through walls at short range.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 02:57:13 pm »
Yes. Psi sense. Basically they can see enemies through walls at short range.

Exactly.

Though in actuality, rats don't have psi vision... They use smell and vibrations instead. But the end effect is similar. :)

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 10:03:18 am »
Thanks! That's cool, they even recognize a direction where an enemy is faced to!

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 01:05:07 pm »
A decent number of enemies in the game have it too. The extra info tab will tell you if they have psi sense and at what range.

Sectoids have pretty good psi sense. One time, a Sectoid lobbed a grenade through the hole in the roof of a damaged UFO at my clustered soldiers. Later when you get mind control, they're really good for telling you exactly where every alien is inside a UFO.