Author Topic: In a worldwide organization...  (Read 2783 times)

Offline adam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
In a worldwide organization...
« on: November 19, 2019, 07:14:16 am »
You can't find rookies who can reliably shoot straight?

I know it was that way in the original. It was dumb then, and it's dumb now.

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: In a worldwide organization...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 07:40:06 am »
blah-blah-blah clandestine organization operating in secret. Blah-blah-blah really short life expectancy probably discourages better recruits.

The beauty of OpenXCom is this is moddable. Roll your own, or use someone elses, or grab someone elses and tweak it until it does what you want.

It's made for TFTD, but my TFTD Cheat Suite could easily be modified to only buff the starting aim for new recruits, if that's a thing you wanted to do.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: In a worldwide organization...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:15:42 pm »
There is no canon explanation for this, actually it directly states how you're getting crème de la crème of what humanity has to offer. No, seriously.

I actually addressed this in the X-Com Files:

Our field operatives are normally recruited from various government agencies that focus on investigation or intelligence. Most natural candidates are those who were already exposed to paranormal activity in their previous employment. As professionals, they are trained to work in top-secret environments and were deeply screened for loyalty. They are experienced investigators who have basic training in firearms and a good understanding of field equipment. Many of them practice martial arts to some degree and they generally are in good physical condition. However, they are not professional soldiers, so any advanced military training must be provided by X-Com when necessary.

In short: the basis for recruitment is not combat abilities but exposure to the alien stuff in their previous line of work. It's not canon of course, just a handwave I came up with.