Author Topic: Ammo names and categories  (Read 1948 times)

Offline The_Ranger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Ammo names and categories
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:32:29 am »
Is there value added by separating Batteries from Ammunition as an item category? I feel like the intuitive thing is to look under Ammunition for most items that are considered Batteries, especially when their item name still calls them "clips".

I suppose calling all sorts of ammo items from batteries, to box magazines, to ammoboxes, all "clips" is a nod of fidelity to the original XCom, which committed the common sin of referring to box mags as clips. Any yet that only holds for about half the ammo types I've encountered; there are many ammo units referred to as "ammo" or "shells" or "drums" or "ammo boxes" "ammo packs" or "flasks", etc. Particularly weird is the autocannon, with six types of ammunition, half of which are called "ammo" and half of which are called "clips" even though they all look the same with different colour accents.

Small things, doesn't really impact gameplay much (except where it took some time to figure out that Sonic Shotgun clips and Heavy Sonic Cannon clips aren't manufactured under Ammunition), but it strikes me as something that could use a polish sweep for internal consistency.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Ammo names and categories
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:30:29 pm »
There is no special value really, it's a convention I chose at some point during the antiquity.

If there is a general feel that this separation is bad, I can change it with relative ease (still a bit of work). Opinions welcome.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo names and categories
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:23:35 pm »
There is no special value really, it's a convention I chose at some point during the antiquity.

If there is a general feel that this separation is bad, I can change it with relative ease (still a bit of work). Opinions welcome.
It would probably be helpful to have matching manufacturing categories and item categories (where this is possible). I first thought this was about item categories and couldn't for the hell of me find the "batteries" tag.

Yeah, I'd agree that this is a bit confusing, seeing how the only 'real' batteries aren't even listed in that category as they are either 'tuned' or 'discharged' (cyberweb batteries).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:39:00 pm by krautbernd »