aliens

Author Topic: Crazy and maddest idea of the mad.. asking Julian Gollop for UFO’s source code..  (Read 3590 times)

wcho035

Hi to all UFO fans,

I was having this crazy idea a while ago, never have the courage to bring it up till now.

Since this forum represents the core of what we all love from the two games Julian Gollop has created. It has been twenty years plus, since both UFO and TFTD been released.

Now Julian Gollop has moved on with Phoenix Point... perhaps we could write a petition to him in requesting the source code for UFO or TFTD?

I know it’s crazy, but you never know till you try.

Just think of the possibilities if we have it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
We don't have to think of the possibilities, it's called OpenXCom.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
there is a very high chance (>99%) Julian Gollop does not have the UFO source code
there is a high chance (~50%) the source code doesn't even exist anymore
there is an ultra high chance (>99.99%) the owner of the source code (if it even exists) will not give it to anyone

also, the source code doesn't help us anymore... people have already found out everything that was needed for a faithful reimplementation

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Are you sure Gollop, not Microprose, owns the source code and data assets, and has enough time to clean it up for the release (i.e. removing any offensive comments)? I think you should not distract Gollop from his current project. And if you really want to know how exactly something worked in the original there is now https://ghidra-sre.org - a free decompiler, replacing IDA HexRays, which costed like $10000 (a bit too much for hobbyist modders).

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
All rights to the X-Com series belong to Take-Two Interactive, and that was confirmed by Gollop himself in his subreddit. So if even if the source code existed (and I'm absolutely sure it is completely lost), Julian wouldn't be allowed to publish it without special permission from the publisher which I'm sure he wouldn't be granted under any circumstance. Not to mention other issues that Meridian has already specified.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:58:14 pm by Kammerer »

wcho035

Well, I thought I give it a shot since UFO and TFTD is almost 20 years + old. I thought this is just a interesting topic to talk about, in case old skeletons has not been dug up. I never imagine... wow, seems like the secrets has been completely looted and sold.

Thank you all for contributing, Meridian, ohartenstein23, Kammerer, Nikita_Sadkov, thank you all for the contribution and insights.

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Has Take-2 ever been approached to ask if a copy of the source code can be released? Whether or not the code is available, at least permission can be sought in the event a copy does surface.

I know the games have already been mapped out quite exhaustively, but I think having access to some of the original code would still be useful for historical preservation and academic interest.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Yes:

Quote from: Take-Two, Nov 12 2015
We appreciate your excitement to expand Open X-COM, but at this time we cannot provide any documentation or files associated with the original games.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Has Take-2 ever been approached to ask if a copy of the source code can be released? Whether or not the code is available, at least permission can be sought in the event a copy does surface.

I know the games have already been mapped out quite exhaustively, but I think having access to some of the original code would still be useful for historical preservation and academic interest.
I suggest you to avoid attracting Take 2 attention (especially the attention of their legal team), unless you want Cease & Desist order to close this project. The time people play OpenXCOM is the time they are less likely to buy newer XCOM games, or other games Take-2 sells. I think that was the exact the reason Blizzard taken down Starcraft and Warcarft 2 modding project (Freecraft), so they could be able to remaster and resell it themselves, like they did. Big companies legal teams always seeking a way to make themselves "useful", so if they notice OXC, there is a high chance they will be lobbying management to close it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:23:46 pm by Nikita_Sadkov »