Author Topic: Reserved slots on X-Com Craft for HWP?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Reserved slots on X-Com Craft for HWP?
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:51:03 am »
At the moment if a craft has 8 slots and can carry 1 HWP then these configurations are possible:
. 8 Soldiers 0 Tank(2x2 HWP)
. 4 Soldiers 1 Tank(2x2 HWP)
. 7 Soldiers 1 Dog (1x1 HWP)
<This unit can be found in mods like the Final Mod Pack.>

Is it possible to cause slots on a craft to be "Reserved" so that only a HWP can use them and a X-Com soldier cannot?

For example a craft with 4 HWP slots and 4 soldier slots could only have these configurations:
. 4 Soldiers 0 Tank(2x2 HWP)
. 4 Soldiers 1 Tank(2x2 HWP)
. 4 Soldiers 4 Dogs(1x1 HWP)

I'm hoping this is possible as it would mitigate the superiority of X-Com soldiers over HWP which encourages their disuse.

wcho035

Re: Reserved slots on X-Com Craft for HWP?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:00:10 pm »
Depending on the spawn tile spacing. Closely pack with no space inside the craft. It spawn what it can. However, with enough spacing in between,  even eight tanks can be spawn, from observation.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:18:04 pm »
What I'm hoping to achieve is the limiting of specific slots on a craft to being only HWP compatible.

The reason for doing this is an X-Com soldier in power armor is much like a walking tank but with better tactical abilities, so there becomes less reason to take tanks with you once you have strong soldiers.

However if the slots can be limited so that only a HWP can be placed on it then there is no reason not to take the additional support of an HWP into battle.

Example:
Currently a skyranger can hold HWP or Soldiers in all slots available

N = Normal slot that can hold a Soldier or HWP.
O = ONLY HWP

Normal Craft Layout:
NNNNNNN
NNNNNNN

What I want to setup is a craft that can only hold X number of soldiers and also additional HWP on top of that number.

Craft Layout that supports space for 1 tank in addition to 10 soldiers:
NNNNNOO
NNNNNOO

The soldiers must be unable to be assigned to the slot that a HWP is reserved to potentially occupy. So if a player has no HWP, those slots become wasted space.

This encourages use of HWP to prevent wasted space in a squad deployment.

Is there currently a feature that supports this?

wcho035

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »
You can use mapview to edit your craft to suit what HWP you can and what not to spawn. That is how I turn my Leviathan from TFTD into a monster transport..

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 02:56:06 pm »
I was hoping that there was a solution using just the .rul files, I'll have to give Mapview a look.

Excellent, it looks like there is a Linux build for Mapview! ^_^

Just to clarify it doesn't really matter to me where the HWP spawn, I just want to prevent soldiers from being able take up a slot set aside for an HWP in the equipment screen.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:05:51 pm by The Martian »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:08:12 am »
Excellent, it looks like there is a Linux build for Mapview! ^_^

the Linux/Mono build on my Distribution page is suspect atm. (Stoddard, where art thou) so, If at all possible, you should build the source natively on your Linux machine (google: Monodevelop and Mono)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 02:40:32 pm »
the Linux/Mono build on my Distribution page is suspect atm. (Stoddard, where art thou) so, If at all possible, you should build the source natively on your Linux machine (google: Monodevelop and Mono)
Thank you for the warning.

I will find a way to use the Windows version or compile the linux one from the source as you suggest.