aliens

Author Topic: LOVING THE NEW UFO DEFENSE  (Read 7987 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: LOVING THE NEW UFO DEFENSE
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 07:12:14 pm »
To my layman eyes this sounds like a pretty good solution for when no specific data is available. Like, any maps made before. These default values should probably be average or something.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 06:46:39 pm »
Only problem would be that it would "crash" current maps if not done properly, and I do not mean QTD but celling falling on your solders on first turn.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 06:57:57 pm »
lol

we gonna need sound fx

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 09:19:49 pm »
Only problem would be that it would "crash" current maps if not done properly, and I do not mean QTD but celling falling on your solders on first turn.

Exactly, that's why I said that the default support value (when no data is present) should be average. Which means, fairly high across the board.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 09:31:43 pm »
What are your thoughts on units stepping on damaged or partially supported floor tiles with open space below?

1.  Would they have a chance of falling through?
2.  Depending on their weight maybe?
3.  Would armor weight modifiers affect this?
4.  If the floor tile was on fire, would that increase the chance of falling through?
5.  What if they are flying units?
6.  Does it matter if they have legs like a soldier in flying armor or if they always fly or hover like a cyberdisc?

My thoughts:
1. yes
2. definately
3. extra weight yes, negative weight depends on technology servo assist like a loader suit no, antigrav yes
4. definately
5. floor tile should have a smaller chance of collapse, unit won't fall through
6. flying units that contact the floor should have a small chance of floor tile collapse, hovering units probably not although something like a jet pack probably should have a small chance of causing collapse.

There probably should be a threshold weight below which lighter units can't cause a collapse and increasing odds for collapse the more the unit is above the threshold weight.  The threshold weight would be defined per tile type and modified by amount of support it has.  For example, the threshold weight for a ufo roof tile next to the hole caused by an engine explosion would be much higher than that of a damaged wooden floor tile next to a hole caused by an alien grenade.

Some random thoughts:
Consider a heavy unit crossing a frozen pond.  Does it have a chance of falling through the ice?
Consider soft terrain like quicksand.  Can a unit fall in and get stuck?

Edit:
There should probably be a modifier at the battle level in order to account for environmental effects such as underwater or off-world terrain.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:52:18 pm by Rubber Cannonball »

Offline Creature

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 04:04:21 pm »
If someone codes in the requirements for that i would be more than happy to do my fair share of maps :P I am picturing this as a 3rd map file for each mapset, something we could add through Mapview2 would be fantastic. You would want a global variable in game to turn it off though for a Vanilla Experience.

today it look be better if you make mb when you sent interceptor to fight near ufo and set view to "Stormovik: Su-25 Soviet Attack Fighter" 1990 and it turn it new way! Thanks for.