Author Topic: EMP - useless in 0.9.9?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
EMP - useless in 0.9.9?
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:47:32 pm »
I remember using EMP grenades in earlier versions to take down Sectopods, Tanks etc. as an alternative to laser weapons - something you can get quite early in the game if you get your research right. As far as i can tell there is no actual reason to use EMP grenades anymore, as almost all enemies are more or less immune to them. The only ones i could find that were actually susceptible to EMP were alien drones and the cyberweb robots, and they can be taken down with conventional weapons.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:50:29 pm by krautbernd »

Offline armadilloTank

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: EMP - useless in 0.9.9?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:07:23 pm »
I only use them as a low mass in case of surprise robot weapon.

If there were better options for increasing research throughput in the beginning then you might run into missions earlier where they would be needed.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:20:31 pm »
I only use them as a low mass in case of surprise robot weapon.

If there were better options for increasing research throughput in the beginning then you might run into missions earlier where they would be needed.
But which enemies, specifically? Like I said, i haven't found any where using EMP would be preferable to using explosives or kinetic weapons. Early game robotic enemies are just as easily killed with normal grenades as they are with EMP or guns, and late game robotic enemies take reduced EMP damage (down to 15% in some cases).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:48:45 am »
I'm thinking of adding a better EMP grenade.