Author Topic: Some suggestions  (Read 18815 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Some suggestions
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:51 pm »
So are handheld laser and plasma weapons depending on who you ask, because of things like the plasma projectile wanting to decohere and the energy consumption. Yet we accept them because they're common scifi and gameplay staples, and elements that already exist in the game.

Not only that, but also they're completely fictional. There is no real concept of a plasma weapon, and especially not one like this. Alien plasma weapons use fictional physics, period.
The same applies to lasers - they have more in common with 40k or Star Wars laser weapons than any real life lasers.

Sure, one of the considerations for micrograv/vacuum combat is recoil, so you're probably going to use a lower-velocity round (so lower base damage) or one that can accelerate in-flight (hence gyrojet). It's probably going to be a relatively large and heavy round as well, which would limit capacity (but the UAC guns are largely already low-capacity, so that's covered). All in all, not great at punching through conventional body armour but fine for use in space against targets that are probably going to be quite lightly armoured.

You are correct, and...?
I don't get what exactly you want me to do. Allow Kalashnikovs in space? Its memetic power aside, I don't think it would look/feel that good.

Iunno, I'm mostly just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. I realize some of it is going to be a little "out there" or more game-vs-reality, but that's just a side-effect of differing design styles and mindsets. The only other stuff I can think of basically requires whole new engine features or extension of existing ones, and this isn't the place to ask for that.

Sure, it's fine to explore the possibilities and I welcome it. But I've already gone over such things dozens of times, weighing various aspects against one another, so it's not easy to find a breakthrough.

Unless I'm mistaken, space missions appear late, so it's perfectly possible that by the time you do these, you have access to energy weapons, making the use of UAC weaponry redundant. Worse, so far space missions are limited in scope, no abandoned spaceships exploration yet, unlike Piratez.

I hope we get some of these missions at some point, it would be cool to explore a seemingly abandoned alien ship emitting a distress signal, only to stumble upon Xenomor- I mean Chrysalids.

Yes, I hope to add more space missions. (And also Moon missions.)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2019, 07:50:23 am »
Is it possible to add on this screen the whole existing locations (regions) in the game? Even those which have 'zero' missions by current soldier? Also, it would be nice to add special borders of each region on the globe. Since we have some significant commendations, which are depend on regional missions, such improvements could be very helpful.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »
Is it possible to add on this screen the whole existing locations (regions) in the game? Even those which have 'zero' missions by current soldier? Also, it would be nice to add special borders of each region on the globe. Since we have some significant commendations, which are depend on regional missions, such improvements could be very helpful.

Do I look like an X-Com developer?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
Is it possible to add on this screen the whole existing locations (regions) in the game? Even those which have 'zero' missions by current soldier?

Yes, but I consider it a bad idea, so no.

Also, it would be nice to add special borders of each region on the globe. Since we have some significant commendations, which are depend on regional missions, such improvements could be very helpful.

That's exposing too much info, not desired.
If you want it too much, you can see exact region borders in debug mode.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 09:00:50 pm »
Do I look like an X-Com developer?

Sorry, but I don't know what features can be edited under the mod or OXC, but this does not mean that I'm an idiot. I'm playing XCF, so all of my suggestions I consider under mod's gameplay, no less no more.

Offline Spiralize

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2019, 05:15:22 am »
Almost to 1999 on my first campaign and I'm loving it so far, especially the Red Dawn.

Might it make sense to tie in the Red Dawn to the history of Posadism? Given that there was an actual communist ufo-worshiping death cult on Earth, drawing a link between the two could be a fun way to flesh out the setting.

It would be nice if the Female Red Ops unit had a detailed sprite with visible chest armour like the male sprite. This would make it obvious without research that the unit has elevated front armour, and make it even more clearly distinguished from the female Pioneer for new players.

Also, I'm confused by the UFOpedia entry for X-Com Bio-Enhancement. It mentions veterancy as being a requirement, so I assumed it was something you did to qualifying soldiers individually, like a transformation in XPiratez. But it doesn't seem to have unlocked anything like that, so is it some sort of passive effect, like a change to skill growth to all units? Or is it supposed to unlock a transformation menu and it's bugged/I'm missing it? I'm just not sure what it's actually doing for me.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2019, 01:23:00 pm »
Almost to 1999 on my first campaign and I'm loving it so far, especially the Red Dawn.

Thanks a lot!

Might it make sense to tie in the Red Dawn to the history of Posadism? Given that there was an actual communist ufo-worshiping death cult on Earth, drawing a link between the two could be a fun way to flesh out the setting.

Sounds interesting, yes. I haven't heard about them, but will read and we'll see if they provide any "story hooks". Or at least memetic material.

It would be nice if the Female Red Ops unit had a detailed sprite with visible chest armour like the male sprite. This would make it obvious without research that the unit has elevated front armour, and make it even more clearly distinguished from the female Pioneer for new players.

It sounds logical.
Uh.. Any spriters here? Because this is would be a total redraw...

Also, I'm confused by the UFOpedia entry for X-Com Bio-Enhancement. It mentions veterancy as being a requirement, so I assumed it was something you did to qualifying soldiers individually, like a transformation in XPiratez. But it doesn't seem to have unlocked anything like that, so is it some sort of passive effect, like a change to skill growth to all units? Or is it supposed to unlock a transformation menu and it's bugged/I'm missing it? I'm just not sure what it's actually doing for me.

It requires Med Bay, which I haven't explained properly in the Ufopedia article. I guess you're missing this facility.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2019, 03:13:22 pm »
Mission "Syndicate Assassination". Please, make Council Commissionaire controllable by player, like you did with David Vincent.

Offline Spiralize

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
Uh.. Any spriters here? Because this is would be a total redraw...

Not that I know of, sorry. But if I ever get into making XCom sprites I'll keep it in mind.

It requires Med Bay, which I haven't explained properly in the Ufopedia article. I guess you're missing this facility.

Yes, that'd be it, thank you!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 10:16:43 pm »
Mission "Syndicate Assassination". Please, make Council Commissionaire controllable by player, like you did with David Vincent.

No. It would be too trivial, not much of a mission at all.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2019, 07:41:20 am »
No. It would be too trivial, not much of a mission at all.

So, do you like stupidness of civilians' AI?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:50 am »
So, do you like stupidness of civilians' AI?

This is not what I said and you know it. :P

Offline sedygrizly

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 07:11:09 pm »
I'm playing 0.9.9e.... i've recently managed to capture Cyber battleship, text said that Council took its command and moved it to dim X base to defend it. I thought thats end of Dim X missions, or at least end to some kinds, so i'm quite surprised that i'm still getting "defend Dim X base". It doesn't make much sense and i think that should be changed... unless Council lied about that battleship, everything is possible at X-COM files :D.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 07:38:56 pm »
I'm playing 0.9.9e.... i've recently managed to capture Cyber battleship, text said that Council took its command and moved it to dim X base to defend it. I thought thats end of Dim X missions, or at least end to some kinds, so i'm quite surprised that i'm still getting "defend Dim X base". It doesn't make much sense and i think that should be changed... unless Council lied about that battleship, everything is possible at X-COM files :D.

Everything is okay. After that you defend your base against common monsters of Dimension X, not Cyberweb. Just imagine, what would be if you didn't interrogate anthropod before and Dimension X arc closed forever?

But if say that... Start a new game with 1.0. There are much differences between 0.9 and 1.0. in global scenario. 0.9 left in the past... ;)

Offline sedygrizly

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 07:48:35 pm »
Everything is okay. After that you defend your base against common monsters of Dimension X, not Cyberweb. Just imagine, what would be if you didn't interrogate anthropod before and Dimension X arc closed forever?

But if say that... Start a new game with 1.0. There are much differences between 0.9 and 1.0. in global scenario. 0.9 left in the past... ;)

Well i can't remember interogating anthropod gave me anything...
Uh, i can't imagine start all over again... are you sure its worthy? Btw what difficulty should i start? Veteran was challenging a little bit at start, but quite fast it became very easy. I've played superhuman before, but that made some missions "first turn unsurviable" and i had incoming UFO every 30mins, so game was unplayable totally.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:52:31 pm by sedygrizly »