Author Topic: Replacing music  (Read 3739 times)

Offline NorthstarAvalon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Replacing music
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:21:45 pm »
I have a friend who's Twitch streaming this mod and the VODs of his streams always end up randomly muted because of 'copyrighted music'. According to Twitch, it's a piece from The Thing which usually plays either during a mission intro or the mission itself. Can it be safely deleted without causing a crash at some point if the game looks for it? Or if not, can it be manually replaced?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Replacing music
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:13:46 pm »
Yes, you can replace the file THING.ogg with any other music file. This would be the easiest solution.

Offline NorthstarAvalon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
So just delete THING.ogg and move another music file with the same name in its place. Gotcha, thanks :)

Offline NorthstarAvalon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:26:05 pm »
Addendum: He did that before today's stream and the music still played. So he went to the folder with all the music in and went through them one by one. Seems The Thing music is also in the game as a file called "dwshock". Though he can't alter files of course while the game is running. Will report in tomorrow if replacing that file fixes thing, in case anyone else asks about it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:55 pm »
Addendum: He did that before today's stream and the music still played. So he went to the folder with all the music in and went through them one by one. Seems The Thing music is also in the game as a file called "dwshock". Though he can't alter files of course while the game is running. Will report in tomorrow if replacing that file fixes thing, in case anyone else asks about it.

But these are two different tracks. You asked about THING.OGG, so I gave you info about THING.OGG...

Offline NorthstarAvalon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:05:00 pm »
All I can say is what I was told. It's been over 20 years since I watched The Thing, so I don't really remember the soundtrack. That was what Twitch said was causing the copyright claims though and the streamer told me that the timecodes Twitch gave him pointed to that piece. What is "dwshock" from in that case?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:53:00 pm »
DW Shock is one track from Distant Worlds.
Honestly, people still care about Distant Worlds?

Offline NorthstarAvalon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 05:14:44 am »
Strange. I don't know, maybe Twitch misidentified the timecodes or something? Anyway, the streamer I was talking about replaced both files to be sure and didn't have a problem today, so it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:10:00 am »
You're welcome :)
If you have any concrete propositions about music, feel free to suggest it.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:32 am »
DW Shock is one track from Distant Worlds.
Honestly, people still care about Distant Worlds?
It's automatic. As long as somebody cared enough to upload it to the database when DW was relevant, the music will be identified and banned next 90(?) years.