Author Topic: [UFO MEGAMOD] XCR: X-COM Classic Remastered  (Read 24417 times)

Offline Coincident

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [UFO MEGAMOD] XCR: X-COM Classic Remastered
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »
They can be seen when aliens are mind-controlled.
Good point.

I just tested this myself a bit further and it's working as intended with both the Snakeman and Muton fixed melee weapons having the bigSprite default value "-1" (which I presume means invisible?)
They still bite / punch at melee range, and mind-controlling them and accessing the inventory shows no problems; both hands are free to use.
Of course the player cannot use the bite / punch melee attacks after mind-controlling, but that is intended.

If no other problems appear, I will tag this with version 1.1 and update the mod portal soon.

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 07:43:16 pm »
work it
thx!

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 07:00:19 pm »
So it was a few days of hell on a genius level. But the soldiers did not want to learn to shoot straight, enemy tanks were armored, and units without armor withstand several sniper shots. Even dogs from the first shot often do not die. Keeping a balance between lost battles and won battles, it all comes down to a weak economy and long research.
My subjective opinion is that this mod is even harder to feel long war on a difficult level. My patience has run out after losing the third game in two days.

Offline Coincident

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:42:53 pm »
Version 1.1 released and added to the mod portal.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3287.msg113764.html#msg113764
Thank you for the info. So it's confirmed that -1 means no-sprite.  :)

So it was a few days of hell on a genius level. But the soldiers did not want to learn to shoot straight, enemy tanks were armored, and units without armor withstand several sniper shots. Even dogs from the first shot often do not die. Keeping a balance between lost battles and won battles, it all comes down to a weak economy and long research.
My subjective opinion is that this mod is even harder to feel long war on a difficult level. My patience has run out after losing the third game in two days.
Thank you for trying the mod, and for the honest feedback.
I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you - the mod is indeed very hard even in lower difficulties, let alone genius/superhuman.

As for some specifics:
 - Soldiers with bad accuracy were also a source of frustration for me when play-testing. But that only made me value more the soldiers that got good stats after living past 6-7 missions. At that moment you can use them as snipers, safely shooting from long range, while rookies scout for enemies.
 - It helps a LOT to get early laser weapons - even the laser pistol makes quite a difference. They have the highest accuracy (good for rookie soldiers) and are excellent at killing enemy tanks. Both the Cyberdisk and the Sectopod are vulnerable to lasers.
 - The "dogs" (Reaper right?) were made slightly stronger and faster - but they are very vulnerable to explosives. Rockets are very effective, but sometimes even a grenade is enough.

(These are the sort of things you can read in the ufopedia once you get some research done, but it's also in the manual)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:15:38 am by Coincident »

Offline Salt Factory

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 07:37:26 am »
Great mod, it's been a real rollercoaster so far. I like the capture rework, making live soldiers worthwhile and all. One thing I'd like, but just an idea is to make it so XCOM has to manufacture human plasma weapons. And well, I think I need to start a new campaign after, well, this.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 09:02:51 am »
What is the point of designing human plasma weapons when the alien ones are perfectly fine for all humanoids?

Offline Coincident

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:21 am »
@Salt Factory's screenshot: Ouch. That's some real bad luck to have all civilians cornered up with a chryssalid. I think you have 2 options: 1 - Shoot all the civilians before they turn into zombies. 2 - Get your soldiers back inside the skyranger and flee! Either way you will get a really bad score on that mission.

Anyway it should not mean restarting the campaign, you should be fine after having negative score in 1 month. As long as it doesn't happen in 2 consecutive months (that's the losing condition I think). Maybe next month the terror mission will be with Floaters.  ;)

As for manufacturing plasma weapons for humans: when making this mod I considered doing that (many other mods at the time also did that).
But ultimately I chose not to, and to stick with the alien plasma weapons only, to stay as faithful to the original X-COM as possible.

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:30 am »

As for some specifics:

I forgot to tell you that I used it in a bunch of FMP

I suppose that without FMP it will be a little easier))

Offline Salt Factory

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 08:02:45 pm »
I tried and luckily did kill that Chryssalid, but there was another hiding behind the van. Thanks for the great work as always. I'll see if I can salvage this. After having to abort.

Offline Coincident

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 02:21:32 am »
I forgot to tell you that I used it in a bunch of FMP

I suppose that without FMP it will be a little easier))
I don't understand. What do you mean with "FMP"?

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 03:40:27 am »
I don't understand. What do you mean with "FMP"?

full metal packet, aka Full Final Mod Pack

Offline Coincident

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 02:03:39 pm »
Errrrrm... so, yetiisyou was playing with both XCR and FMP mods active at the same time?  :o
I'm surprised it didn't just crash.

This megamod is not meant to be mixed with any other mods.

Even if, somehow, it does not crash, the balance (and the point of this mod) will be completely broken. The game might get stupidly-easy, or literally impossible.

Offline Valmont

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 08:13:08 am »
This mod is exactly what I was looking for!!! Too bad it doesn't use OXCE as a base, I stopped using Nightlyes loooong ago.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 06:21:44 pm »
This mod is exactly what I was looking for!!! Too bad it doesn't use OXCE as a base, I stopped using Nightlyes loooong ago.

You can use it with OXCE (might need some tweaks for the stricter ruleset validation) and it should run fine, just won't make use of the more advanced engine features.