Author Topic: [weapon] MG 3 machine gun  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[weapon] MG 3 machine gun
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:47:51 am »
If you were wondering what it would be like to use the German MG 3 (and its very distinctive firing sound) in the XCF, wonder no more. See the attachments for details. Standard installation instructions apply. Game wise the gun is very similar to the M-60 machinegun. They use the same ammo (as they do IRL).

@ Solarius: yay or nay ?  :)

By the way, the soldier animation when firing, it looks to me that the game flips the gun HandObs from the holding position to the firing position frame by just picking the opposite view. Thus for certain weapons that may require a steady hold when moving or firing, this may look odd. Especially when doing auto fire. Maybe I missed the correct reference in the Ruleset description. Is there a way for the game to hold the firing animation off (thus one needing to redo the HandObs to already opposite - or firing) for the correct display on the battlescape ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [weapon] MG 3 machine gun
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:00:52 pm »
@ Solarius: yay or nay ?  :)

Yay, definitely yay!
I like adding new weapons, especially when someone else does the actual work. :) And this looks really solid. (I only had to change the palette on the handob to battlescape.)

Hmm, who should use this weapon? Dagon, maybe? (Same question about the Galil.)

By the way, the soldier animation when firing, it looks to me that the game flips the gun HandObs from the holding position to the firing position frame by just picking the opposite view. Thus for certain weapons that may require a steady hold when moving or firing, this may look odd. Especially when doing auto fire. Maybe I missed the correct reference in the Ruleset description. Is there a way for the game to hold the firing animation off (thus one needing to redo the HandObs to already opposite - or firing) for the correct display on the battlescape ?

No, this is not moddable.

EDIT: Just FYI, I also had to make a new research for buying the ammo, which is unlocked by researching acquisition of either gun.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:24:57 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:01 pm »
Hmm really makes me wonder who could be using a MG 3, maybe a certain faction from another planet  ::) ;)?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:28 pm »
And this looks really solid. (I only had to change the palette on the handob to battlescape.)
Thanks! I thought I applied the HandOb palette to the HandOb image. So the HandOb palette must be the battlescape palette? I'll keep it that in mind for the next one.

Yes, Dagon. As I understood the XCF, each cult has its own global zone of influence and preferred set of weapons. EXALT is mostly the Americas and thus US weapons. Black Lotus is East Asian, and they use an array of mostly Chinese/Japanese weaponry. Red Dawn is East Europe/Eurasian Russia, with Soviet weapons. Finally the Church of Dagon is Western-Central Europe/Africa/Middle-East, with said regions weapons. Hence the Galil, MG3 would fall on the later faction. Moreover, if I remember correctly, one of the higher ups of the CoD wields a G11.

No, this is not moddable.
That is what I was thinking too. Maybe another TODO item in the far away category for Meridian et al, is to have an alternate HandOb for firing only, or something around that. That would open the possibility for other effects (e.g., flash, lights, glows, etc).

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:49:45 pm »

Faction from the western block? Exalt? Same may apply to Galil

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:59 pm »
Hmm really makes me wonder who could be using a MG 3, maybe a certain faction from another planet  ::) ;)?
Well the MG 3 needs to be re-skinned to be the MG 42. The firing sound is similar. The ammo needs to be different as the MG 42 fires the 7.92x57 mm Mauser cartridge.
But that faction ground units need to use the Mauser 98 rifle, MP40, and of course the StG44.
It is not like they haven't advanced in weapon tech the past 55 years or so. :)

niculinux

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 10:58:38 am »
If you'd care for some hyistorical background, again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_MG_3  ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 12:22:34 pm »

It's a natural choice, isn't it? :) However, I don't know if I am going to make this faction at all, it's a lot of work and I want to do other things in my life too (like the mecha mod, and maybe Star Wars). And even if it happens, they would use futuristic weapons, not Schmeissers.

Thanks! I thought I applied the HandOb palette to the HandOb image. So the HandOb palette must be the battlescape palette? I'll keep it that in mind for the next one.

Yes. Handobs, floorobs, units and terrain are all battlescape, and naturally require the same palette. Bigobs are slightly different, because they also appear in the Pedia; they use a palette which is the same as battlescape, but minus the last 16 colours.

Yes, Dagon. As I understood the XCF, each cult has its own global zone of influence and preferred set of weapons. EXALT is mostly the Americas and thus US weapons. Black Lotus is East Asian, and they use an array of mostly Chinese/Japanese weaponry. Red Dawn is East Europe/Eurasian Russia, with Soviet weapons. Finally the Church of Dagon is Western-Central Europe/Africa/Middle-East, with said regions weapons. Hence the Galil, MG3 would fall on the later faction. Moreover, if I remember correctly, one of the higher ups of the CoD wields a G11.

That's the general idea, I'm just worried that Dagon is getting all the cool stuff! :-D
I also added your new guns to generic soldiers.

That is what I was thinking too. Maybe another TODO item in the far away category for Meridian et al, is to have an alternate HandOb for firing only, or something around that. That would open the possibility for other effects (e.g., flash, lights, glows, etc).

At least some of these can be done with scripts, but I don't see a need to justify a need for something this unwieldy.