Author Topic: *Bouny*  (Read 5722 times)

Offline thegeewz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
*Bouny*
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:11:24 pm »
What follows is the post I've just made over at r/ps4homebrew. I'm not trying to step on any toes. I just wanna play my favorite game on this spiffy (newly modded) console. I hope I'm not breaking any rules.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ps4homebrew/comments/ap40tm/homebrew_request_with_bounty/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to see some https://openxcom.org/ ported over to the ps4.

$100.00 usd, paid via Paypal. (stable and playable)

(This is a fan request, I am not affiliated with the openxcom project in any way, but can I get a hell yeah?)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: *Bouny*
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:18:52 pm »
PS4 SDK is under NDA.

Provide that, provide hardware, and pay for work - about $5K for 4-6 weeks.

That's what the port would cost the off-the-shelf. Then there is the question of distribution - how it is to be installed on PS4? Are there jailbreaks or what. It's not like Sony allows random code to run on it last I heard.

Then if you want it to be maintained, make sure that the hardware and access to the SDK are provided continuosly.

$100 does not even start to cut it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:23:13 pm by Stoddard »

Offline thegeewz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:48:14 am »
Fair enough. It was worth a shot.

I thought I would try to incentivise a labor of love or something. I know a 100 is a drop in the bucket compared to dev costs. The console has got a few jailbreaks now, but homebrew is disappointing atm.  90% piracy.

Keep up the good work guys, openxcom is amazing.  Respect.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:55:34 am »
leaks happen, encryption gets broken, digital signatures get faked.

look at the PSP, it's practically open-source at this point.

given that people are releasing homebrew for PS4, it hints that all the tools required to do such a thing are currently out there in the wild.
i'm pretty sure it's possible.

HOWEVER!

the libraries we depend on (ie: SDL) aren't available in PS4 flavour. given that they're open-source as well, it might be possible to compile them for PS4, but you'd have to add PS4 support to it manually.

so i'd consider that the major hurdle, and the thing you'd want a bounty on: SDL
if you can get a PS4 compatible version of SDL, you gain access to a wealth of games almost inherently.