Author Topic: Spriting Team-up? Who else dislikes the Reaper?  (Read 3592 times)

The_Funktasm

Spriting Team-up? Who else dislikes the Reaper?
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:20:21 am »
So, I dunno about anyone else, but the Reaper has always irked me as the only "bad" alien design in UFO Defense. It has no front legs/graspers, and a surprisingly small mouth for being a giant monster that mangles and practically eats squaddies and civvies alike.

I kinda want to put my limited graphic knowledge into making the reaper at least a bit less weird. Even better if I could team up with someone.

Like let's be honest... I don't think it'd be nearly so awkward, if it was just a weird piggish monster on two legs, rather than the same in an alien bondage getup. Or even if it had the harness, if it was more monstrous and malformed.

My first thought is to either remove or multiply its eyes, and to give it spastic tendrils. Maybe make the head look like it opens a bit /too/ wide.

So anyway, let's brainstorm what'd be better traits for the reaper to have in this thread. (within reason, I guess.) What do you guys think? I really want to hear your ideas. I honestly would work on anything practical and good as a design. Anything that sticks out I'd also be willing to or enjoy helping out on.

The_Funktasm

Re: Spriting Team-up? Who else dislikes the Reaper?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »
If it helps, brainstorming is enough. All I want to know is what people think would reasonably fill the niche that the reaper does.

I think I'm spoiled on things that have monsters with more crocodilian jaws that can actually fit large prey.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:09:33 am »
I also dislike this space cow, i planed on trying to modify the reaper into a large bug with similar looks to the Chysalid.  Perhaps this creatures dna was used in producing the Chydslid itself. I am not very good with graphic s but now i have seen falkos tools for large units, i am thinking about trying to make one in the  future.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:53:00 am »
Reaper always looks for me pretty alien. Like a dog from outer space. Ugly for human eyes, yes. But they are E.T.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:05 pm »
Reapers are modified from Earth cows... While their form is kinda weird, I don't find them exactly illogical or silly. Aliens are just weird.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »
Reapers are modified from Earth cows...
Are you sure? The UFOPedia article says they are carnivorous and have two hearts and two brains. They don't seem to come from Earth cows.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 06:21:50 pm »
Are you sure? The UFOPedia article says they are carnivorous and have two hearts and two brains. They don't seem to come from Earth cows.

Hmm, it has been so obvious to me for over 20 years that I haven't ever thought of verifying it. I mean, the aliens are mostly interested in humans and cows, so weaponizing a cow seems like a natural thing to do.
If it's not true, then I know nothing.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 06:27:11 pm »
If it makes you feel better, they probably feed cows to reapers between missions. Except when they starve the reapers in anticipation of human feeding.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:03:11 am »
Hmm, it has been so obvious to me for over 20 years that I haven't ever thought of verifying it. I mean, the aliens are mostly interested in humans and cows, so weaponizing a cow seems like a natural thing to do.
If it's not true, then I know nothing.
It is described nowhere. But it can be an easter egg. They indeed look like heavily mutated bulls.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:09:14 pm »
I learned about and fell in love with X-Com in 1994 (3 years before getting my first PC and playing it), after I read a big article about the game in a magazine. I think the author of this article made this connection and I completely internalized it forever... :)