Author Topic: Globe Terrain info  (Read 4983 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Globe Terrain info
« on: January 01, 2019, 02:23:47 pm »
Hey,
 Has someone got a link to a Ufopedia article or a forum post about modifying the world terrain, wondering if there are still limits on number of differnt terrain items and the sprites used to Texture them? I did a quick search but didnt find what i was after.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Globe Terrain info
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:11:28 pm »
I am not aware of any such limits... although I am not sure if I even understand the question correctly.

As for modding globe terrain, pretty much all bigger mods modified it at least a bit... try looking at Hobbes' Area51.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:22:39 pm »
I am building a new globe ( see image) each colour is a different region, i am wondering if there is a limit on the total number of region type? I am sure i can assign multiple map types to the same region if i need to, however i am wondering if i can increase the total number of regions from 12 to 24 if i wanted/needed to ( at this point i dont think i need to but i just though i would ask).

Yes, i should dig through Hobbes work he would of done this several times.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:25:12 pm by luke83 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:31:58 pm »
There are 15 regions in vanilla (north america, arctic, central asia, etc.). https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Geoscape_(EU)#World_Regions.2FCountries
They are not limited.

The colors on your globe correspond to textures, not to regions, AFAIK.
Textures are also not limited...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:22 pm »
sorry i was using the wrong word, now i understand your confusion... Yes Textures.

Textures are not limited, Excellent :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:46:15 am »
sorry i was using the wrong word, now i understand your confusion... Yes Textures.

Textures are not limited, Excellent :)

The reworked WORLD.DAT used in the Terrain Pack/Area 51 has more than 20 textures assigned.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:15 pm »
The reworked WORLD.DAT used in the Terrain Pack/Area 51 has more than 20 textures assigned.

Interesting, so how did you assign these textures to globe, Currently  i am using Falkos tools and his editor only goes up to 12, did you manually change them in the Code after the fact or is there another way?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 01:33:16 am »
Interesting, so how did you assign these textures to globe, Currently  i am using Falkos tools and his editor only goes up to 12, did you manually change them in the Code after the fact or is there another way?

I use volutar's WORLD.DAT editor - if you search UFOPaedia.org, there's a page describing it and a download link. The editor allows you to add as many additional textures as you like (by manually editing the config file, IIRC) and then assign them to polygons

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 02:31:35 am »
Falkos tool creates a Rulefile, does that mean its not compatable with Volutars work?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
Falkos tool creates a Rulefile, does that mean its not compatable with Volutars work?

You can either use a modified WORLD.DAT file, like Volutar's editor creates, or you can define the polygons by adding them to globe.rul, like Falko's tool does. WORLD.DAT is merely a collection of polygons.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:38 am »
Found a work around for Flakos tools, i changed the old layers via notepad++ (eg: from ID: 0 to ID 0# and it shaded the globe differently) in doing so i can add new regions, change there number via Find and Replace and then turn back on original numbers :)

Just posting this incase any one else in the future wants to use the world builder like i am.