aliens

Author Topic: Building your own PCK,MCD,TAB sets  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Building your own PCK,MCD,TAB sets
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:34 pm »
No, because the MCD ("tile") and the PCK ("graphics") are completely different things. For example, two different MCDs can use the same PCK. Or two MCDs can be identical but have different PCKs.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 02:01:33 pm »
You have to copy over or import the corresponding part of the PCK file then link the tile to the new image index. Automatically copying over the image too is not so simple when the order of entries in the PCK file matters and the tile data just points at a position in that PCK file.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 06:47:29 am »
Automatically copying over the image too is not so simple when the order of entries in the PCK file matters and the tile data just points at a position in that PCK file.

Sorry, this is what BombBlocks MCDADD does, it lets you clone every aspect of a particular tile (data, image and any linked files ( like doors)and place it into your desired set, and its all done by executing a BATCH file, i  guess i was spoiled by this program he created as it does it all in one go. 

Going to bootup Dosbox and see if it works there before accepting defeat ;)

I must say i do like having the PCK editor in the NEW MCDEDIT, saves me going into GIMP for minor changes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:59:39 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »
RIght so i have been trying to create my own ruleset via Voltars MCDEDIT, but i have hit a snag, the Images in the PCK file are not the same as the images in MCDEDIT and it doesn't appear to want to let me update them, i think something is corrupt, a little guidance on this would be great!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:05:55 pm by luke83 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:53 pm »
Sorry, but without any specifics, I can't say what can be wrong. The picture looks fine to me.
You can try to attach the tileset and tell what should be changed... Then I can try to fix it fore you.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 10:23:15 pm »
Its seen's you have 0 value where it should be 13, just change from 0 to 13
 Above scan20
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:25:44 pm by bulletdesigner »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »
Sorry, but without any specifics, I can't say what can be wrong. The picture looks fine to me.
You can try to attach the tileset and tell what should be changed... Then I can try to fix it fore you.

Lol it is attached :)

In mapview & MCDEDIT they show one image, in PCKVIEW they show another image.

--- posts merged ---

Its seen's you have 0 value where it should be 13, just change from 0 to 13
 Above scan20

Cool, thanks for that, i had no idea where to look, i also assume this is how i add the animations in this software :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:03:00 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 10:34:08 pm »
Yap, and animation speed

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »
Luke, is this a good time/place to talk about your UFOL83 and UDISEC3 tilesets? I was just curious on the inspiration/source/method/etc.

For those who don't know about these: they are tilesets included with the Luke's Extra UFOs mod.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:25:19 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 06:47:36 am »
Luke, is this a good time/place to talk about your UFOL83 and UDISEC3 tilesets? I was just curious on the inspiration/source/method/etc.

For those who don't know about these: they are tilesets included with the Luke's Extra UFOs mod.

Lol i dont even remember exactly what was included in these to be honest as i dont currently have a working & up  to date version of the Mod ( if someone has one send me a link).This was my second attempt at map building, my first one was the Expanded Urban setting and after releasing that one i learnt a lot from the feedback i was getting ( people like the variety but hated the underground) so this time around i wanted to keep things Close to vanilla but add a lot of variety, so i set to work... I guess that covers Inspiration ( i had one mod out that was partially liked and wanted to make my next one so EVERYONE like it).

Source.... From memory its all from original game art and/or game lore, note sure what else to add here...

Method... Come up with the Vision of what i am trying to achieve, Build MCD Set to handle what i need ( this always gets added too later as i always think of something extra), When building maps i always do the outside first and leave the interiors blank ( until later). I then play a few rounds and see if the map goes together well, see if its too open or too dense etc, then review MCD set and/or add new map combinations.  Eventually i start working on the interiors here i try to make them interesting or give good places for the aliens to kill you from. Once the interiors are all done i usually loose interest in the project as the next part bores me to tears, i HATE doing the travel Nodes, this is the job i need helpers for as nothing about it interests me, this is why Others seam to always go back and fix these i just hate it so much i seam to always do something wrong :)

If you have some more directed question please ask.

Also if anyone wants to help me with the boring parts of my PyramidUFOs please let me know as i already have another Map project i am keen to start on  and its all bulletdesigner fault for posting these images  :P https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2576.45.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:51:35 am by luke83 »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »
I got it originally from the old mod portal, which is currently up, by the way. I can't find it on there now, but I see a couple of other UFO variant mods, some of which likely used some of your UFO variants. I don't have an unmodified version, however the one I have is probably better because all I did to change it was remove some of the redundant craft data which didn't need to be there. People have said Darkened UFOs are better but yours don't seem to have any flaws from what I've seen and I like the designs better because it only changes the inside. I'll add the disclaimer that I may have made other changes which could cause problems--I was working on incorporating it into my upcoming mod but I can't remember how much I've done to it. I think the changes are minimal or none. I added the version I have below.

I'm (very slowly) working on some battleship variants. I did some rotations for the middle floor and then made the top floor way more interesting in each variation. If you're interested, maybe I can hurry up and finish them so you can add to your mod, if you plan on updating it at all.

I can do routes sometimes. It usually bores me also, but I came to understand how it works at some point, so I am now competent at the task and every once in a while I enjoy it. What I would need to know is what sort of general design goals you have for it. I mean I can place random enemies all over it, or I can design it with some purpose in mind. Just a general explanation is good, you should probably just post it on some thread asking for help and I may or may not ever get around to doing that.