aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Possible knockback for big weapons  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Slax

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Possible knockback for big weapons
« on: October 23, 2018, 05:34:46 pm »
Something to allow for even more fiddly gunplay. Mix it up with some TU loss for next turn and things could get interesting.

Lessee. Some kind of damage vs. strength and armor deal. Gonna stumble back (or wherever) if that big bad cannon hits you just right. Extra damage dealt if you can't move away.
Sounds neat in my head at least. Balance tweaking might be tricky.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Possible knockback for big weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:31:34 am »
I've thought about this too,  and possibly a knock DOWN state, similar to fallout 1 - 2. hard, or bad hits on low hp, or bad footing causing one to be temporarily incapacitated. not exactly knocked out, separate from knocked out, but just fallen down, set to get up next turn, and adding a little stun / energy loss. This in particular could make for astounding melee, Imagine in piratez stumbling a power armored unit long enough to bring a can opener.

Also rather than damage v strength and armor, maybe damage vs mass of unit, plus a multiplied melee number, and a reducer in knock down for armor effectiveness, and a small amount of morale taken into account, to base off flinching.

For melee, take into account melee skill of individual, and strength too.

....course this would be a lot of code.

Offline NiceMicro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 02:57:42 am »
It sounds interesting, but I think that a weapon that hurts its user on a consistent basis, is a neat idea in and on itself. Like you can use that huge cannon for sure, but it has a toll on your soldier.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 05:12:40 am »
I was thinking rather a prototype laser weapon that burns the user with fire, or light laser radiation. A sort of hard bargain between easily accessible lasers, and good functionality. But I could see this working for a few guns.

But large cannons dealing stun / lethal like baseball bats would be cool, like you need decent armor not to incapacitate yourself, possibly with math to reduce stun based on strength.