Author Topic: Noob Mod creator  (Read 3595 times)

Offline deltatree4

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Noob Mod creator
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:37 am »
Hi, I'am new in this forum, but I'am a huge fan of OPENXCOM. I was wondering how create new contenent from scratch.

Like for example how design and code new objects. If someone would be so kind to give me some advice that would be nice.

Thanks

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Mod creator
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:54:09 pm »
ImO start with something concre and simply, because every thing is complex ex: I started with making a new sub for tftd, and learned was I go along expanding! What do you want to do 1st?

Offline deltatree4

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:06:26 pm »
Thanks for the comment!! I would like create initially  equipment such as armor and weapon

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:31 pm »
well in that case on your xcom foder go to standart/xcom1 you have several .rul files , install notepadd++ open the itens.rul and you can see the basics stats for all items in the vanila xcom. after that acquaintance you will have to study extrasrtings.rul for naming and extrasprites.rul for images

after all that just download a simple weapon mod i see how those  3 .rul files exist and link to each other
Amor is a bit more complex but check armor.rul after all those and you almost there

tips: notepad++ language i go for python , also start with simple item and after that go for armor

Online Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:15:11 am »
i really suggest Visual Studio Code, as it has OpenXcom Ruleset Tools, that correct spell errors https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=openxcom.ruleset-tools. I had a lot of very annoying tabbing errors before I started using it. It is a pity that it does not understand the syntax of OXCE, but still

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:16 pm »
tips: notepad++ language i go for python , also start with simple item and after that go for armor
In theory is should be YAML. At least I'm using that and it seems right.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 11:34:02 pm »
As a fellow N00b ... start small and work your way up to something, plan out what you want to achieve and test regularly! :)

I use notepad++ myself so can second that!

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:07:57 am »
Find similar things in mods, copy them into your mods, and tweak them. It'll help you get the hang of the formatting rules.