Author Topic: Badfella's Guns, Pillows, and Soldiers of Fortune  (Read 15867 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Badfella's Guns, Pillows, and Soldiers of Fortune
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 10:54:25 am »
I'm not sure I have it in me to go in and re-do all 26 head variants for three different armors
I wouldn't either. They look good anyway though!

Offline Badfella

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 08:57:53 am »
Got busy. Only had time to do guns, so I'm making some replacement sprites for the UAC Weapons in XCOM files, as well as a few extras (like the pistol.) They may or may not turn into their own thing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 11:28:47 am »
Got busy. Only had time to do guns, so I'm making some replacement sprites for the UAC Weapons in XCOM files, as well as a few extras (like the pistol.) They may or may not turn into their own thing.

Suddenly,I had this inspiration to make more UAC weapons. :)

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 04:43:23 am »

Very high quality images! Are you going to use them in SOFCOM too or they are going to be a resource?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline Badfella

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:46:08 am »
Very high quality images! Are you going to use them in SOFCOM too or they are going to be a resource?

Probably a resource, they're out of the tech level for SOFCOM.

I've also updated them to fit XCF's palette. Not quite sold on the construction yellow for the nail weapons, but I'm getting there.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 03:24:15 am »
Maybe try going a little more toward the "elerium orange/yellow"?

Offline Badfella

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:56 am »
I ended up going the complete opposite direction instead, and drew cues from the original UAC Nailgun Sprite.

I feel like it's a definite improvement.

Offline octagon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:29 pm »
The main reason why proportions are wrong is because Battlescape was made for non-square pixel 4:3 320:200 resolution. Weirdly, Geoscape requires 8:5 aspect ratio for the globe to be actually round. If you display the sprites in correct aspect ratio, the proportions are a lot less unrealistic.

There's a nonSquarePixelRatio option in options.cfg, at least in OXCE+. It doesn't work with some of the scale settings, which can be used to get square pixels in Geoscape and non-square ones in Battlescape.
The whole OXC scale/aspect handling is a bit of a mess IMO. Depending on the monitor resolution it may be impossible to get a good result.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 05:05:15 pm »
The problem with enabling the 3:4 scaling is that display becomes uneven and thus blurred. For x3 scaling, the pixel rows go: 3x4, 3x4, 3x3, repeat. If the pixels were consistently 3x4, it would look great indeed.

Offline octagon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »
Hmm. Now that you mention it, it looks like the pixel ratio with nonSquarePixelRatio on is actually 3x3.6, probably for compatibility with 16:9 monitors.

Code: [Select]
if (Options::nonSquarePixelRatio)
{
pixelRatioY = 1.2;
}

So there's currently no way to get the correct aspect ratio in inventory. It's kinda ridiculous that OpenXCom is missing such an essential feature despite being pretty much complete.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 06:58:25 pm »
Essential feature?
Don't be ridiculous.
Tens of thousands of people play OpenXcom without ever noticing anything, including myself.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:18 am »
The proportions do look a lot better when you use non-square pixels. What I have to ask is what engineer thought it was a good idea to make pixels not be square?!?

Offline octagon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »
Essential feature?
Don't be ridiculous.
Tens of thousands of people play OpenXcom without ever noticing anything, including myself.
That's because everybody forgot what the game was supposed to look like, and this thread is a testament to that. Because NTVDM and DosBOX (unless you knew you should set it up for non-square pixels) had the same problem. Stuff like that is easy not to notice. Hell, if Geoscape was flat in OXC, everybody would get used to it by now.
Anyway, I've miscalculated in my last post, 1:1.2 pixel ratio is actually correct. So some unevenness and/or blurring are inevitable. But this hardly matters on higher resolutions. 4K monitors are going to become common in a few years. In fact the blurring should be barely noiticable on 1440p monitors.

The proportions do look a lot better when you use non-square pixels. What I have to ask is what engineer thought it was a good idea to make pixels not be square?!?
This resolution was originally intended for 40x25 text mode with 8x8 letters. Letter resolution was limited by byte size, and stretching square letters vertically was a reasonable way to maintain their proper shape.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »
blurring are inevitable. But this hardly matters on higher resolutions. 4K monitors are going to become common in a few years. In fact the blurring should be barely noiticable on 1440p monitors.

I disagree, it is strongly noticeable. And increased resolution hardly helps. Unless you use a mode with even more stretching/distortion, the battlescape will just keep getting smaller. By the level the distortion becomes unnoticeable, it becomes hard to see the units and icons.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 12:46:26 am »
I find even a small amount of  interpolation to be bad for using screenshots. I hate it when I shrink the image and it messes up the pixels.