aliens

Author Topic: X-Com Images Archive  (Read 3557 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
X-Com Images Archive
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »
I've been making an archive of the images found in the original X-Com games, and I want to share it with the community. Here's my dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9g42iwxp92o6ou/AABIyF2QJE02ahiIoTxovDIra?dl=0

It doesn't have everything yet, I'm gradually adding to it over time. Let me know if there are any problems, or if there's a specific thing you want right away.

The_Funktasm

Re: X-Com Images Archive
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:44:07 pm »
Thank you for this. I have had no idea how to actually get some of these resources out to modify and it has stifled what I feel like I can even work on for this game.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 06:25:51 pm »
That's exactly how I felt! I want people to be able to find everything in one place.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 06:40:19 pm »
It doesn't have everything yet, I'm gradually adding to it over time. Let me know if there are any problems, or if there's a specific thing you want right away.

Well, anyone with Xcom Image Extractor (or BB's Toolkit directly) can extract these in 5 minutes from the original files... not sure why we need yet another place for it.

Also, seems like you did just that :) judging by the fact that few errors the tool has show also in your archive, for example in folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9g42iwxp92o6ou/AACKgB-kbXVII2_tRlbJqp_7a/UFO/UFOGRAPH/X1?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »
X-Com Image Extractor does a lousy job. Some images it does right, if you select the correct palette. Palettes for UFOPedia images are very confusing.

It splits spritesheets up into individual images. Falko's Tools will re-combine them into a spritesheet but before I knew about that (and any time it's offline), it was very strenuous making spritesheets by hand.

Some images it doesn't even recognize, for example if they're in a *.DAT file. Those have to be found elsewhere.

These images aren't a quick 5-minute grab. I've already put dozens of hours into assembling this image archive, and that's not counting all the time spent trying to figure out how to do it, asking others for help, and throwing my hands up in frustration and leaving it for another day. And I'm still not even done with UFO Defense images, TFTD is barely started. It's a lot of work, and it's a labor of love, that's why I want to share this archive. I don't want others to have to go through what I went through to get this stuff.

Speaking of which, if there's any variation in format you guys think would be useful to add to the archive, let me know. I want the images to be easy to pull up and use.

Also, seems like you did just that :) judging by the fact that few errors the tool has show also in your archive, for example in folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9g42iwxp92o6ou/AACKgB-kbXVII2_tRlbJqp_7a/UFO/UFOGRAPH/X1?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1
Do you know how to fix it?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:47:18 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »