aliens

Author Topic: [Question] Can't install game through the Steam XCOM file  (Read 3622 times)

Offline SvenBogdanoff

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[Question] Can't install game through the Steam XCOM file
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:19:47 am »
Hey guys sorry if this question has been asked before

I was following the Mac OS instructions to install and XCOM's files are not in the Steam Common folder because Xcom can't be installed on mac through steam so i was wondering how to fix this, was this just an oversight? Should i use a different vanilla version of Xcom to complete the installation of OpenXcom?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Can't install game through the Steam XCOM file
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:41:11 pm »
unfortunately steam only allows it to be downloaded on a windows OS. if you can, use wine, bootcamp or a friend to download the files you need.
i don't recommend trying to source it from an abandonware site, not only because of the questionable legality of doing so, but also because the files may have been tampered with by XCUtils (which is known to cause problems in openxcom)

Offline SvenBogdanoff

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:24:06 pm »
Ah so it was just an oversight, maybe the directions should be changed to include steps using wine or something because as they are now it would be impossible to install the game. Thanks anyway

KZad Bhat

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:04:15 am »
Will Wine trick the Steam client? If not, it's going to take downloading on a friend's Windows computer and copying files over. Either that, or try emailing Steam and ask if they can provide a raw download of the files.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:49:14 pm »
Will Wine trick the Steam client?

It will. I once used that trick to install Magic the Gathering on Ubuntu.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 12:58:32 am »
That will be good know one day, thanks for the info Kammerer.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:11:41 pm »
unfortunately steam only allows it to be downloaded on a windows OS. if you can, use wine
this bit funny because you cant run original on Windows too, you need dosbox and dosbox is available for linux too.

Another source is https://www.gog.com/game/xcom_ufo_defense (if you not by already) as GoG do not use any DRM you simply download it and grab important parts.

[ps]

ups, I forgot that they release dowlonad as exe installer, and now you have problem how extract it on linux, mayby they have linux version, I do not know.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:16:19 pm by Yankes »

KZad Bhat

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:58:26 am »
Damn, I even just checked one of their installers to be sure. It is an archive, it can be opened with 7-Zip, but the contents are not directly accessible files. So still either Wine to trick the downloader/installer, or install on a friend's computer and copy the files over. Although with GOG at least you can probably send them an e-mail with the situation, and they might put up a zip file people can download for just the data.