Author Topic: Mods Not Appearing In-Game  (Read 4727 times)

Offline .........EB......

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Mods Not Appearing In-Game
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:32:20 pm »
Hello,

I had installed openxcom and it works fine. I then installed the mod file into the mod / user folder. From there though I get nothing, it never appears in-game. I watched the instructional video and it followed step by step to this issue. The unzipped file is in the mod folder, but never gets activated / pulled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Mods Not Appearing In-Game
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:53:27 pm »
Give us at least some screenshots of the relevant folder structures on the harddisk; and mods visible in the game. Also, which version of openxcom do you have? And which mod are you trying to install?

From your description, the only thing I can say is, it should work.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:00:18 pm by Meridian »

Offline .........EB......

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:29:09 am »
It will take some time, I am bar jumping tonight and out of town camping tomorrow, but I will get all of that information and pack it into my next post on this thread. Thank you for the help! People are awesome on this community.

Offline VanDoorn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:46:44 pm »
Same problem here.

The issue is that in the User>Documents>OpenXcom folder the "mods" folder doesn't exist. There are only three files there: openxcom.log, openxcom.sav and options.cfg and nothing else.

Running the game is supposed to fix that, but it doesn't. Manually creating the "mods" folder doesn't work either.

Help?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
If you are on Windows, just create a 'User' folder in your OXC folder and move your files from the folder you described there.

Honestly, Documents is a concept I believe should burn in nuclear fire.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:18:09 pm »
If you are on Windows, just create a 'User' folder in your OXC folder and move your files from the folder you described there.

Honestly, Documents is a concept I believe should burn in nuclear fire.

If it's actually a problem with Documents folder (which has the least possible protection by default), then creating a "User" folder in OXC has even less chance to work... Windows will fuck you up with virtual storage even more.

Problem will be somewhere else IMO.

Same problem here.

The issue is that in the User>Documents>OpenXcom folder the "mods" folder doesn't exist. There are only three files there: openxcom.log, openxcom.sav and options.cfg and nothing else.

Running the game is supposed to fix that, but it doesn't. Manually creating the "mods" folder doesn't work either.

Help?

First question... are you playing OpenXcom 1.0 or OpenXcom nightly?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:20:07 pm by Meridian »

Offline VanDoorn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:58:09 pm »
First question... are you playing OpenXcom 1.0 or OpenXcom nightly?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:13 pm »

Mystery solved :)

Do yourself a favour and install the nightly. Then you'll have the mods folder and everything else.

PS: Or, if you must have 1.0... then the correct path is "Documents/OpenXcom/data", not "Documents/OpenXcom/mods" and you will need to restructure most of the mods that already use the new format... basically you can't have each mod separately in its directory, everything is together. You'll see a mod in the list, if there is at least one *.rul file in "Documents/OpenXcom/data/Ruleset"... but as I said... save everybody the trouble and upgrade to nightly
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:38:48 pm by Meridian »

Offline VanDoorn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:01:52 pm »
That worked, thank you!