Author Topic: Auto supply  (Read 8169 times)

Offline gaise

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Auto supply
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:14 pm »
Is there a mod for an auto base resupply.

I think it would be a great idea. If you have the money you auto order all items used in the battle.

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Auto supply
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:00:17 am »
That would be so awesome!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:01:27 am »
Already in February, it would not do anything anymore, because vast majority of your equipment is manufactured, not bought... except maybe for electroflares and smoke grenades.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 06:04:37 am »
Already in February, it would not do anything anymore, because vast majority of your equipment is manufactured

You're forgetting mods which add more purchaseables through research.

I don't feel a need for the feature, but if it were implemented and tweakable I would incorporate it into my upcoming TC and it would be useful there.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 12:09:13 pm »
I'm not forgetting mods, just stressing vanilla, because people tend to forget that.

Anyway, although mods have more buyable items (in absolute terms), in relative terms, it's also a relatively small percentage, and thus still very "arguable" feature at least (to avoid the word useless).

The_Funktasm

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 11:17:24 pm »
Would it be any more useful if hiring replacement soldiers was part of the option or menu?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 11:36:10 pm »
Would it be any more useful if hiring replacement soldiers was part of the option or menu?

This request was not about soldiers, but about items.

Aside from that, I don't think it would be more useful to auto hire soldiers either. It's just a few clicks, you spend 10x more time crying over their deaths in the Memorial anyway :P

The_Funktasm

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 11:43:53 pm »
Eh... both are in the purchase/hire menu and sell/sack so I figured they were related.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 01:39:21 pm »
Already in February, it would not do anything anymore, because vast majority of your equipment is manufactured, not bought... except maybe for electroflares and smoke grenades.
Aside from grenades, high explosives, HC/AC ammo, rockets (probably), missiles/cannon ammunition for interceptors...

I think it would be a useful feature even for the base game.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 01:51:51 pm »
Aside from grenades, high explosives, HC/AC ammo, rockets (probably), missiles/cannon ammunition for interceptors...

I think it would be a useful feature even for the base game.

grenades - in February, you should be using alien grenades already
HE packs - possibly, but I assume most people use alien grenades instead
HC/AC ammo - possibly, although in February you should have Plasma already, or at least Lasers
rockets - yes, here I agree
missiles/cannon ammo - this is not used in battle, thus can't be ordered after a battle

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:07:47 pm »
missiles/cannon ammo - this is not used in battle, thus can't be ordered after a battle
My bad, misread OPs post. Would be nice to have a genral resupply option for crafts though...

grenades - in February, you should be using alien grenades already
HE packs - possibly, but I assume most people use alien grenades instead
HC/AC ammo - possibly, although in February you should have Plasma already, or at least Lasers
AFAIK aliens have no weapons that deal incendiary damage either - these are all bought. You are also making a lot of assumptions of how people "should" be playing the game. No offense, but maybe i am not that fast on my playthroughs? Maybe some of us aren't as lucky with their aliens and loot drops? I've also heard that some people like to limit their use of alien equipment. Again, i think this would be a useful funtion to have in the base game, but since i have no idea how to implement it all i can do is come up with arguments why such a feature might be a useful addition.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:32 pm »
AFAIK aliens have no weapons that deal incendiary damage either - these are all bought. You are also making a lot of assumptions of how people "should" be playing the game. No offense, but maybe i am not that fast on my playthroughs?
I think Meridian mean optimal way to play, If you want you can end game using only pistols but this is will take longer and it will be harder.
Most of people will gravitate towards optional strategy and this mean most of them will not have lot of use of this new functionality.
If everyone could use it every time Meridian will probably be more incline to add some thing like that.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 07:35:21 pm »
Please, pretty please... don't insult my intelligence like that.

I am not forgetting vanilla, I am not forgetting mods, I am not forgetting different playstyles, I am not forgetting different difficulties and I am not forgetting self-imposed restrictions.

Exactly the opposite... I considered them too and it only made it more obvious (for me) that the feature is fundamentally flawed... it is useful in such a measly percentage of cases above that it is practically useless.

Giving an example that it is useful in one or two highly specific cases, out of a virtually unlimited number of cases is also not going to convince anyone.

When it comes to changing the xcom UI, that stood the test of time (!), I will only make changes that I believe in... and which I believe can help at least 80% of players. I'm also not doing this alone... I consult the new UI features with modders, with people on discord and on the forum. And when I get negative feedback, I stop immediately. Even when I get 50% positive feedback and 50% negative feedback, it's a stop, because it's just not enough for a UI feature (for non-UI features, it's a different story). I don't have exact statistics, but my guess would be that only about 10% of UI features discussed were actually implemented, maybe even less. Moreover, also for UI features that actually made it in, I closely follow user reactions afterwards and follow big streamers like Yogs to see how intuitive and seamless it actually is. In my opinion, this particular feature helps less than 1% of players and annoys the rest. I may be wrong (like everyone else), but probably not wrong "enough". Lastly, this is not the first time feature like this was discussed, I remember similar discussion initiated by Starving Poet maybe 1 year ago, and before that by Ivan Dogovich probably about 3 years ago and before that by someone called Unknown Hero in 2014... all ending with conclusion "it creates more problems than it solves".

PS: also, nobody actually even tried to give concrete UI suggestions here... the feature is so vague right now, that you and me maybe have completely different idea in our heads how would it look like and what would it do (exactly)... so maybe someone should first present a solid proposal first

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 10:04:29 pm »
I wrote an external program to do this, among other things.   It's not very user friendly and I won't do any hand holding, but if you want to bash your head against it:

https://github.com/StarvingPoet/xcomstats

The_Funktasm

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 12:00:34 am »
Please, pretty please... don't insult my intelligence like that.

I am not forgetting vanilla, I am not forgetting mods, I am not forgetting different playstyles, I am not forgetting different difficulties and I am not forgetting self-imposed restrictions.

Exactly the opposite... I considered them too and it only made it more obvious (for me) that the feature is fundamentally flawed... it is useful in such a measly percentage of cases above that it is practically useless.

Giving an example that it is useful in one or two highly specific cases, out of a virtually unlimited number of cases is also not going to convince anyone.

When it comes to changing the xcom UI, that stood the test of time (!), I will only make changes that I believe in... and which I believe can help at least 80% of players. I'm also not doing this alone... I consult the new UI features with modders, with people on discord and on the forum. And when I get negative feedback, I stop immediately. Even when I get 50% positive feedback and 50% negative feedback, it's a stop, because it's just not enough for a UI feature (for non-UI features, it's a different story). I don't have exact statistics, but my guess would be that only about 10% of UI features discussed were actually implemented, maybe even less. Moreover, also for UI features that actually made it in, I closely follow user reactions afterwards and follow big streamers like Yogs to see how intuitive and seamless it actually is. In my opinion, this particular feature helps less than 1% of players and annoys the rest. I may be wrong (like everyone else), but probably not wrong "enough". Lastly, this is not the first time feature like this was discussed, I remember similar discussion initiated by Starving Poet maybe 1 year ago, and before that by Ivan Dogovich probably about 3 years ago and before that by someone called Unknown Hero in 2014... all ending with conclusion "it creates more problems than it solves".

PS: also, nobody actually even tried to give concrete UI suggestions here... the feature is so vague right now, that you and me maybe have completely different idea in our heads how would it look like and what would it do (exactly)... so maybe someone should first present a solid proposal first

I thought it'd be a popup that comes in after or instead of the "not enough * to equip squad" popup, like how in OXCE you get a sales menu if you have too much salvage from an alien craft to fit in the base. Maybe just a "buy" button next to the one you use to look at the spoils of your mission.

If it's problematic to code, however... or just not worth it, I totally understand not putting it in. Perhaps in the form of buy menu access it's a bit less of a niche feature.