aliens

Author Topic: [UFO] One Tenth Research Times.  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[UFO] One Tenth Research Times.
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:32 am »
Hello guys,

I played UFO to death back in the day, and only found out 2 weeks ago that open X-Com was ready.  And boy is it great.  Thanks to the devs !
There was something that always bugged me in the game, Research rate. 
It was, and still is, far too easy to get to the end-game in a few months, especially if you get a couple of lucky missions.

So I made this Mod: OneTenthResearh
It uses a custom RUL to multiply per 10 the amount of research needed to complete them... In other words, like giving you only 1/10th of your usual progression speed.
The mod does not change the progression tree, so one can still "Bee-Line" to plasma cannons and avenger super-craft (not to mention other techs to get to Mars).  But it's not going to take you 3-4 months anymore.

Why would you install this mod?  It is made so that you have to use everything at your disposal to survive the time needed to take the alien down on their own planet. 
You have to bid your time and plan wisely.  It also makes you take a lot more mission in starting gear, which provides the greatest form of challenge.
Want to run a longer, harsher game or youtube series, without going superhuman ? (and kudos to those than can play Superhuman)  then this is for you.
I've tested it on my own for a few hours and it took a while even to get laser weapons, well after my first terror mission popped (on easy).

I have not, nor do I plan to test this with other mods, I only modified the base game technology research rate.  Feel free to modify it if so you please.
Thank you, and have fun !  (PS: if you plan on using this mod in a YouTube series, send me a PM, I'd love to watch it !)

Here's the dropbox link for anyone interested :   
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upchsofwll5jn88/OneTenthResearch.rul?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:29:40 pm by Francois424 »