aliens

Author Topic: Additional Battlescape Music mod attempt?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline XCOMJunkie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Additional Battlescape Music mod attempt?
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:37:14 am »
If I were to come across the time to do so, how would I go about making a mod for Piratez to add additional battlescape audio tracks? I've played so much of it I might enjoy a bit more variety, and wouldn't mind trying to do it myself if it were relatively newb friendly.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Battlescape Music mod attempt?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:43:31 am »
Problem is:
You need music tracks converted to work with the engine and the 'desired' track should fit to the game/missions.
It also should 'loop' smoothly enough and shouldn't start to annoy the f*ck out of you once you heart it more than 2 times.
You know, some missions take like 1 hour+ to complete.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:26:15 pm »
Conversion is not a big dead at all, just make sure you don't use .mp3 as the engine is prejudiced against this format.
Both Dioxine and myself use .ogg.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:08 am »
When I made a music mod for my PirateZ LP, I mostly focused on the BattleScape music.  I set up 4 different tracks 10-15minutes each.  Most were 3-4 songs spliced together.  Leveling out the songs was the most important part as you want all in one track to be about the same in volume, as well as all the tracks together to be the same amplitude.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:47:25 am »
At least if someone gets tired of a particular track, they can tap End and change to another. So really, a mod adding more tracks can only be good. As would removing track 4, in my opinion.

Offline Shaewaros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:13:26 pm »
BTW is the complete xPiratez music collection available for download somewhere? If not, where are the audio files stored in the installation?

Offline FiendishDrWu

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:58:34 pm »
@Shaewaros, it's (wherever you put the files)\X-Piratez\Dioxine_XPiratez\user\mods\Piratez\Sound

Note that these files are in .ogg format; if you wanted to convert them to .mp3 (say, if you wanted to import them into iTunes) you could use a program called Audacity to do so. 

Incidentally, the main theme seems to come from here: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=35186

That's in yet another format, .xm; you'd want WinAmp or something similar to play it.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »
Personally I prefer XMPlay myself.