Author Topic: [Solved] Problems running OXCE+  (Read 3570 times)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
[Solved] Problems running OXCE+
« on: March 17, 2018, 05:48:53 pm »
Need help.

I've built a branch of OXCE+ (oxce3.5-plus-proto) with some changes I want to add and test (adding a new screen). However, I can't launch the game, but I could with vanilla OXC no mods enabled.

From the log it looks like it doesn't like the UFO ruleset, and turns if off which kills the game because then it can't find BATTLE.CAT.  Is there a way to get more debug output without firing up the debugger?

Audio error is the same for vanilla OXC, because I'm running in Ubuntu Bash Shell for Windows 10.. so no audio.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:53:50 pm by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE+ problems - ruleset problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
In the options.cfg file, you can turn on "debug: true" and "verboseLogging: true," that will give you much more information in openxcom.log about what the game is loading and doing.  However, 'not liking the vanilla ruleset' sounds like you just copied your new build executable into a folder from an old one; recent versions of OXCE+ have been adding to the rulesets in the common and standard folders and you need to make sure you use those new rulesets instead of the old ones.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:19:13 pm »
Okay, I'll take a look at that.  I thought I copied those over when trying to debug things.  I didn't know about verboseLogging, so I'll try that.

So, I need to make sure my UFO data files are located in the directory with the OXCE+'s common and standard folders?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »
For the default search location, yes.  You might be able to specify where the UFO/TFTD data files are with the '-data "path/to/data/files"' command line argument, but generally it's easier to have one directory containing the common, standard, UFO, and TFTD folders along with the executable.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:43:00 pm »
Still having issues, so going back to clean version of the branch before my changes, and verify that I can launch OXCE+ for starters.  All I did was build OXCE+ with might small set of changes, put UFO in the build/bin/UFO directory and ran it with no command line options from the /build/bin directory.

--- posts merged. wow, 2 posts in 2 minutes, srsly man? ---

I did a from-scratch unmodified build of the oxce3.5-plus-proto branch of OXCE+.  Same problem. Won't launch with xcom1 ruleset error.  Not sure what on earth is going on now.

Do I need to try this in Windows?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:17:55 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »
However, 'not liking the vanilla ruleset' sounds like you just copied your new build executable into a folder from an old one; recent versions of OXCE+ have been adding to the rulesets in the common and standard folders and you need to make sure you use those new rulesets instead of the old ones.

So, I need to make sure my UFO data files are located in the directory with the OXCE+'s common and standard folders?

ohartenstein23 meant that you need to ensure that the common and standard folders are using the xcom1 rulesets from OXCE+

That might be the issue, if you haven't checked them already

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:27:26 pm »
Yeah, thanks. That's what I'm attempting to do.  I cloned OXCE+ from scratch with its rulesets and just copied the UFO data files only right into it's UFO directory of the build and tried to run with defaults.  I may need to check the default search path to make sure I didn't hose anything up. 

--- posts merged ---

Are the OXCE+ rulesets checked into github?

--- posts merged ---

Okay.  Downloaded everything fresh on a another Linux VM.  Built the oxce3.5-plus-proto branch. Copied the UFO files over.  Worked.   

Thanks everyone for the tips.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:18:50 am by Solarius Scorch »