Author Topic: Installing Nightly on Linux  (Read 4744 times)

Offline zetapulse

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Installing Nightly on Linux
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »
Hi there, I'm new to both XCom & Linux. I've been playing OXCom just fine for a few days now but read that it hasn't been updated and that I'm better off setting up the nightly build, so I removed OXCom via the software manager and have been trying to apply the instructions on ufopaedia to get the directory structure matched to no avail, always returning a "No installation found" error. Honestly I'm not confident I'm following the instructions right as I have neither the "common" nor "standard" directories, nor their contents anywhere as far as I know.
Can I kindly ask someone to walk me through it?

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Nightly on Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:14:42 pm »
First things first .. how did you install openxcom (build it yourself, or installed via a ppa of appimage)? Since you claim not to have "common" or "standard" folders i suspect the installation is broken

Secondly can you post the openxcom.log file, it should show where it is currently looking for those files.

And finally can where is your directory structured located (e.g the full path, you can anonymize your username if you want).

With this information we might be able to help.

Also this video might be of some help.

Offline zetapulse

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »
I believed I used the terminal, or perhaps the software manager, to install the files from repos. This is further supported by the fact that I don't have a copy of the milestone appimage lying around. I don't think this counts as building it myself though.

I don't seem to have any openxcom.log files. I did find that I still have an openxcom folder containing the UFO data folder in /usr/share. I have the UFO game files in a folder on my desktop, in which I also put the nightly appimage. The instructions on the wiki & linked from there all make sense to me except that I don't didn't know where the listed folders (user, data, config) are. I finally understood what the paths on the Git mean and found them, including the log file showing the same locations I found them in. I never realized that OXCom made these directories upon installation. I've restructured the dirs according to this separate UFOpaedia page. I still don't have any of the files/folders listed in standard font (as opposed to bold) but the game's running now.

Thanks for your assistance. I'd seen the video before but was daunted by its length, only just finding out that there are links to the relevant part of the video. In any case, if I haven't bounced my issue against you, I'd have just given up. And now to suffer at the hands of alien invaders.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
Heh.  I honestly doubted that the video would help with a Linux install, but I'm super glad that it did!  Congrats!

Offline zetapulse

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:07 am »
It didn't, rather I figured things out before I committed to watching it, but I was pleased that upon being recommended to watch it again, I found that I won't have to slog through the whole hour+ of content. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I'd like to ask if savegames from Milestone OXCOM are compatible with Nightly, & if they are, should I change their file locations? Because they're not showing up in-game, not that I really mind starting over.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:36:10 am by zetapulse »