aliens

Author Topic: Can't load Open Xcom final modpack savegame after crash  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Hybridmassaker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Can't load Open Xcom final modpack savegame after crash
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:10 pm »
Hello dear Alien-hunters.

I have huge problem with Open Xcom - Final Mof Pack after a crash in game occured (the first one in about 20 hours of play)
It crashed on a mission with Hybrids after i threw a High explosive into a building and caused a MASS-death of Hybrids, it sounded so funny ;) but sadly the game then hung up in the "round transfer screen" for two minutes without any activity. I then tabbed to Windows and ended the game via "Task manager" never caused any problems for me.

But after startig the game again when i try to load the save it says:                                     LOAD FAILED
                                                                                                                                 XXX.sav is not a valid save file

I switched off Final Mod Pack but the same problem. Any suggestions? Andy experience?
It's so frustrating, i played for dozens of hours, game is superhuman + ironman so there is only that one save file ;(    i put so much effort in it, so much pain, loosing my production base with 4 Workshops, 100Engineers, 300-400 Alloys + Elirium each, my precious alien electronics, base worth 15 Million or so left me without any workshop space, almost quit but i could save it and i don't want to lose it ;(

Any experience/suggestions/help?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Can't load Open Xcom final modpack savegame after crash
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:23 pm »
First, let this be a lesson to you and everyone else... NEVER play mods with Ironman.

That said, if you upload your save here... we can have a look at it and most probably fix it.

Offline Hybridmassaker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »
Hello Meridian

I have to play it on ironman, otherwise i would have reloaded the catastrophic devastating Etheral baseattack on my workshopbase that left me with nothing but dropped pants  ;D
This way, on ironman, it made it an even harder, more rewarding experience. I just lack the discipline to not reload :'(
But if it can't get fixed, i will try it without ironman.

I swear if someone can fix that save i will donate 10€ to open xcom

Offline Hybridmassaker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:44:16 pm »
Oh oh, savefile has 0 KB, does not look good to me :'(

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »
Well, I'm afraid with 0 KB we won't be able to restore much :/

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:13:54 pm »
I'm not sure if it is enabled by default on windows (let alone on your version).
But there might be a possibility to get your hands on an older version.

For that you have to open the file explorer and navigate to the parent of the folder containing the saves.
Right clicking might reveal an option along the line of "restore previous versions". If that option is available you can choose to browse an older version and copy the save-file.

Good luck

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 06:34:50 am »
Also check if there's a backup save in the folder.

Offline Hybridmassaker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 03:32:13 pm »
Hello guys,
thanks for your help. I tried the "restore older version" but it says there are none :'(
Also no backup, just the one savefile and two screenshots.

By now i have made my peace with it  :( and started a new game, superhuman but his time not ironman.

I guess killing 20+X Hybrids with one High explosive in one building was just toooooo much for this poor old game ::)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:25:45 pm »
I doubt killing all the hybrids at once caused this, the game engine can handle that just fine. What you described sounds like an infinite loop caused by having a 0 TU cost tile messing up AI pathfinding - it's easy to check and fix if you don't have ironman on...